jeremygibbs42

Safety switch question.....

jeremygibbs42

Hi, I have a 312-8. I recently replaced the solenoid which took care of the issue of the tractor not starting. The tractor ran fine but now I have the same issue. I went through some basic trouble shooting and it does not seem to be the solenoid and I can jump the solenoid and start the tractor as well. So I'm trying to figure out how many safety switches there are (i.e.: brake pedal, mower). I believe the year of my tractor is the 1987. Any information would be great. If so could you also tell me how to test the switches. I used a multi meter before to see if power was flowing to the solenoid. Now the power does not seem to be getting there so that's why I'm assuming it would be one of the switches. Thanks 

Ed Kennell

Is the PTO disengaged?

gwest_ca

Here is the 1987 wiring diagram. There is a drawing there of just the starting circuit. You are dealing with the ignition switch, 1/2 of the pto switch and the clutch pedal switch which should be on the right side and activated by the arm that holds the drive belt idler pulley. You will see it if you look down through the slots the shifter travels in.

Garry

jeremygibbs42

The PTO is disengaged. Can you explain where the switches are located. Are these the following switches 1. PTO 2. Clutch 3. Seat 4. Ignition switch. So is there not a switch for the brake pedal? Garry what did you mean by "1/2 PTO " the handle that engages the mower blade which I'm assuming is for the PTO seems have a switch. Sorry I'm just confused with this. Thanks

gwest_ca

The pto switch is on the right side of the battery tray below the throttle cable.

The pto switch is 2 switches in one. 1/2 controls the starter circuit and the other 1/2 controls the ignition circuit.

There is no brake safety switch that is tied to the START or RUN circuits. The brake idot light if you have one is just a reminder that the parking brake is applied.

The ignition circuit uses the seat switch. With pto ON (mower deck working) and if operator falls out of seat engine quits.

Back to the starter. I forgot you also have an engine low oil switch. If the oil is low the low oil switch opens which prevents the low oil relay from closing. This relay is what powers the starter solenoid. The low oil switch is a float type with a magnet that closes a set of contacts. The magnet can attract metal filings from engine wear and prevent the float from operating. Removal of the switch for cleaning has special instructions so you don't damage the switch.

With the key in the START position, pto OFF, clutch pedal down you should have power in both wires of the oil switch. That should make the low oil relay click closed and send power to the starter solenoid.

If your idiot lights work they should tell you which circuit is at fault when you go to start it.

Garry

• Like 2

jeremygibbs42

Ok thanks, I will be looking into it more this week.  Thanks