Chuck...

More light for 520lxi

Chuck...

Well I work 2nd shift so I would snowblow the driveway at night so the wife could get out in the morning or I would get up early and clean the driveway up before she left. So I was in the dark alot.

The stock headlights where not cutting it.  The main problem besides not being that bright was that they where not sealed that well so the snow from snow blowing would find its way on to the hot bulb and the bulb would break.  That and the light that the head lights put out was blocked by the snowblower.

I bought some l.e.d. lights from northern tool and used some scrap metal I had laying and made a couple brackets.  One for each side.  I also didn't want to drill any holes any holes on the xi so I tapped into the 3 bolts that hold the mid attach-a-matic bracket on.

I didn't take any pics of the build part but here it is finished up.  I just unplugged the original head lights and ran wires to the new lights.  

20131217_120523_zpskdxgpwn0.jpg

I did it that way because I was planning on taking them off in the summer so I could just unbolt the brackets and unplug the lights and then plug the old lights.  

Here is a shot with the light on lol pretty bright 

20131217_120540_zps4ybattfq.jpg

One thing you can't see on the picture that just happend to work out perfect was the clearance between the bracket and the handle crank for the snowblower.  Fit perfectly if I would have made it like .5 inch the other way it would have hit the handle 

They worked so well that I just leave them on year around.  They are close enough to the frame that they really aren't in the way for anything and if I need light just turn the key.

Here was the test.  This picture was taken at night pitch black with the flash turned off on the camera.

Not bad lol

The green eyes in the background are lily

20131217_223245_zpshawqofxw.jpg

Then only problem is now when I look behind me backing up its pretty dark lol.

• Like 8

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool! Nice job!

I solved the back-up problem with a simple utility light...Works like a charm!

IMG_0568.JPG

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
added photo
  • Like 6

Chuck...
11 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Very cool! Nice job!

I solved the back-up problem with a simple utility light...Works like a charm!

That's a good idea.   I was thinking about getting some brighter lights for the front and then mounting the old front lights in the back lol.  Would be pretty bright.  

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I put LED bulbs in mine, but you are right, the blower blocks a lot of the light

Edited by WNYPCRepair

Chuck...
2 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I put LED bulbs in mine, but you are right, the blower blocks a lot of the light

Yeah that's the main reason I wanted the lights up higher to get about the snowblower.  You have trouble with your bulbs getting snow on them and popping.  Or maybe my lense or something wasn't sealed right