JamesC-120

Kohler K301 compression release malfunction?

prondzy

I think maybe we should ignore the valves at the moment, it sounds like there is a vaccum leak in the motor and the only way to overcome it is by going full throttle. How is the throttle butterfly shaft play? Is it snug or does it have a little play? How is the gasket between the block and carb? And have you removed the head previously? 

JamesC-120

The butterfly shaft does have a very small amount play. I have never taken the carb off of this engine so I'm not sure about the carb gasket. I only removed the head once and that was after I was having problems. 

prondzy

Are all your throttle and coke cables tight and not sliding through the clamps when you move them?

wallfish
On 5/2/2016 at 10:28 AM, wallfish said:

Choke working properly? Dirty carb? Water in the bowl or tank? Fuel pump weak? Could the carb bowl be leaking? Will it start easily if you squirt a little fuel into the carb?

Check for and eliminate any fuel delivery problems first, if there is any.

JamesC-120

All the cables are working properly and not slipping. I checked the choke, I cleaned the carb, it was clean, I put all new fuel in so no water in it. The fuel pump is working fine. I tried squirting starter fluid in the carb but it make it not want to start even more. I still think it is compression related. 

JamesC-120

So I just went out and tried to start it and it started at idle easily like it used to! So I shut it off and restated it 5 more times perfectly but in the 6th time it went back to starting really hard. 

rmaynard

I would remove the valves and check for carbon build up on the stems.

JamesC-120

Well I am not in any hurry to get this thing running perfect so I think before I start really getting into it I will keep trying other simple things. 

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:  Pick up a can of Seafoam Carburetor Cleaner spray, with the air cleaner removed and the engine running at half throttle; spray a few shots of the Seafoam in the air intake and let it recover between shots, do this several times. I have had good results with this.

• Like 1

JamesC-120

I'll have to give that a try. 

JamesC-120

I've concluded that this engine just has low compression because when I put a battery charger on it it cranks much faster and it starts right up. So I replaced the battery and now it will start right up. But in the winter it usually cranks slower so that might cause some problems. 

• Like 1