Sign in to follow this  
howell1000

rearend leak or trans leak

howell1000

Is it hard to put a seal in a rearend??? its on a SK 486  i think this tractor is same as c series might be trans ???

Edited by howell1000
more info

pfrederi

Putting in the seal is easy.  The big hang up can be if your hubs will not come off.

Edited by pfrederi

howell1000

How much does the seal cost??   where to get one??

pfrederi

if we are talking axle seal Toro Part Number is 100863  or you can go to an Auto Parts store and ask for a SKF brand number 9815.  less than $10 bucks.  There are several thread here about seal replacement.  Make sure there is no up down or front to rear movement in your axle. Some in and out is OK. clean the axle well sand off an burs and then cover the key way with tape before you put in the new seal

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

howell1000

What if its the trans  ????

pfrederi

You have to find out where it is leaking from.  Axle seals are most common followed by the brake shaft, or input shaft.  Rarely the seam between the two case halves.

Don't over look the drain plug.  (Bottom of the case just to the left of the hitch tang)

howell1000

ok thanks Ill look and maybe try to get some pics up ASAP  

howell1000

I found the leak it was around my gear shift  I took it out and the pin was broke it did not have a seal  so I found the parts and they are on the way  .  can anyone tell me the best trans oil to use in these tractors ???

gwest_ca

This Valvoline oil is their least expensive GL5 and is not corrosive to yellow metals. Their more expensive GL5 oil is corrosive. There are some brass bushings in our transmissions.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/high-performance-gear-oil

The 80-90 weight would be a good choice.

Garry

• Like 1

howell1000

Thanks

about how many quarts of gear oil does it take??     the shifter has a small ball with a set screw and pin that runs through it is there a seal or anything else that keeps the oil from coming out ????

pfrederi

There is no seal just a shifter boot.  Many have dried out and torn like this one.  What does yours look like??  The t5rnny only has about 2.5 qts of oil in it (about 2" at the bottom.  It gets flung around by the gears but leaking out the shifter hole would be very very unusual unless it was grossly over filled or your shifter boot was in bad shape/missing.

IMG_3344.JPG

howell1000

no boot at all i have one on the way the key was broke who ever had it before me filed a bolt down and used it so i have the key and hex nut and boot on the way is there anything im missing??

pfrederi

That should do it.  the key as you call it is really a dog point set screw....