AlecZ

No Spark

AlecZ

On my tractor i have a Koler K321s on it, and I'm having the the worst luck with the spark. I don't own a wheel horse, I have a Jim Dandy. i was told that i could learn a lot from this web sight. I just replaced the coil,coil's wire,battery,spark plug,condenser,and new points. The thing that I'm stuck with is there is really nothing else that I have to replace and thats when just had enough. If anyone has suggestions I could really use some help. Thanks

Edited by AlecZ

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

See if any of this helps. It is for battery ignition. (If you have magneto ignition the following will burn up the coil)

The condenser goes on the (-) side of the coil.

The battery power goes to the (+) side of the coil.

Easy way to remember - Most times the condenser connects to the points. The (-) side of the coil goes to the points. The condenser does not care which end of the (-) wire it goes to.

The body of the condenser needs to be grounded to the engine or chassis metal. New paint can prevent a good clean ground connection.

Do you have a test light or a voltmeter?

Connect it to the coil (+) terminal and chassis ground. 

Turn key to RUN position and you should get 12 volts.

Now turn to START and you should still have 12 volts while cranking.

Connect tester to the coil (-) terminal and chassis ground. Turn key to RUN.

When the points are open you should have 12 volts.

When the points are closed you should have 0 volts.

So if cranking the motor with pull rope or starter the above should happen. It may happen too fast to notice.

Remove the spark plug and turn the motor over by hand using the flywheel. The test light or voltmeter should show this on/off cycle.

If you don't get the 0 volts the points may be dirty and not making electrical contact when closed. Polish the contact surfaces with a point file or nail file. Drag a strip of white paper between the contacts until it comes out clean.

Garry

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@AlecZ :text-yeahthat:and :WRS:

N3PUY

I found this on "my tractor forum".    Does your wiring resemble this?

(looks like someone forgot the points and condenser)

WIRE2.jpg

Added points and condenser

WIRE2.jpg

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 2

roadapples

:WRS:

AlecZ

@gwest_ca, i used your advice and got nothing, everything was some how all hooked up right even though I didn't even know what i was doing. The thing that has me thinking is the coil wire. I got it from NAPA, were the guy was kind enough to make me one, but i'm not 100% sure that it works. My friend has coil wire that i've seen work, so i'm going to try that out and see if there is a difference. Thanks to everyone who responded.