danjmah

Wheel Horse pulling a 5 Gang Reel Mowing System

russellmc301

the 7 gang one has a wheel horse too.:text-coolphotos:

• Like 3

squonk

I always find it funny in mower ads in catalogs or TV, The grass never needs cutting! :)

• Like 5

DougC

If I had the room to garage a mower set up like that I would definitely be a buyer. I used to help a high school friend mow a country club/golf course in the late 60's and would pull reel mowers with ford 8n tractors. What a blast. We would also take our girl friends with us at sundown in his Ford convertible and drive around the golf course to turn on the sprinklers on the greens..............;)

• Like 7

KC9KAS
42 minutes ago, squonk said:

I always find it funny in mower ads in catalogs or TV, The grass never needs cutting! :)

Because they take the photo AFTER they mow! :ROTF:

• Like 2

squonk
18 minutes ago, DougC said:

If I had the room to garage a mower set up like that I would definitely be a buyer. I used to help a high school friend mow a country club/golf course in the late 60's and would pull reel mowers with ford 8n tractors. What a blast. We would also take our girl friends with us at sundown in his Ford convertible and drive around the golf course to turn on the sprinklers on the greens..............;)

I mowed at a golf course one summer. We pulled the gangs with Worthington's and Jacobsen's. Those babies would do over 40 MPH! :auto-swerve:

• Like 3

ztnoo

I didn't know you could still buy these rigs!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_lawn-garden+lawn-mowers+gang-reel-mowers

When I was a kid in the mid 50s, my maternal grandfather was a farm implement dealer in Tipton, IN.

He had a self propelled reel mower (can't remember the brand) for his residential property which was in town.

The thing must have weighed at least 125-150 lbs., but I've never seen anything cut a lawn in as beautiful fashion as that mower did.

It had hardwood rollers.

Once the thing got brought outside in the spring, because of its bulk and weight, it stayed outside (uncovered as I recall) until fall.

What a beast it was.

squonk
16 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

Because they take the photo AFTER they mow! :ROTF:

Yes but on those TV ads you see the guy driving the tractor with loafers on going across the yard like he's mowing but nothing is coming out of the chute! :)

KC9KAS
26 minutes ago, squonk said:

Yes but on those TV ads you see the guy driving the tractor with loafers on going across the yard like he's mowing but nothing is coming out of the chute! :)

Trick photography!.....The power of TV!

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, DougC said:

So......takin' the girls out to "turn on the sprinklers..." is what you told Mom & Dad? Pretty good one...;)

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Not a :wh: five gang...

still lot's of fun though.  :text-woo:

• Like 8

Retired Sparky
2 hours ago, DougC said:

I'm jealous of anyone who has a 48'' cut or larger.  My lawn is so lumpy I have to stay with a 37'' deck. :mellow:

c-series don

Ha! I JUST got one of those GIVEN to me. Someone gave it to my brother in law who gave it to me! Now for the bad news, it needs a bearing for one of the reels and a new wheel. Hopefully I can get the parts. When I got it, it was all seized up. But some Kroil and patience I got it freed up and working. I hope after I get the bed knives adjusted it cuts good because I don't think I would pay to have it sharpened or lapped, because I know that can get expensive. At that point it would have to go to a new home.

857 horse
5 hours ago, danjmah said:

Noticed something familiar in the N*tool catalog:

2500271_700x700.jpg

just noticed ,,Dan is 15 miles away..........hope you make it to the BIG SHOW !!!!

• Like 1

Tankman

Early 70's  I pulled a 5-gang reel. Loved it until I installed chain link to  keep the brats kids in the yard. :rolleyes:

One reason to own a Horse, mow frequently. Great maneuver more seat time.

"Honey, I'll paint the bedroom after I'm done mowing. Oh and the tractor needs an oil change and cleanup. Grass was damp, stuck on the deck underside."

• Like 1