Sign in to follow this  
bell

Two mystery Horses for the herd...

bell

I picked up a couple Horses today... the seller said that this one is a 702, but I don't think so. I think, maybe, the gas tank is from a 702... but the rest is a mystery. :D He also said that the engine is a k181, but we may never know due to the ID plate being M.I.A. :hide:

additions004.jpg

additions005.jpg

Then, we have this cute little "mystery" Lawn Ranger... (I.D. plate is M.I.A.) with a BEAUTIFULLY running k161 with the aluminum recoil starter.

additions006.jpg

As I said, both tractors run GREAT and both are in fairly decent shape. I don't know what I'm going to do with them yet, but I couldn't leave them outside where they have been for months... :hide:

Rollerman

Wow Jon...you have an incurable sickness as fast as your picking them up. :hide:

Those two look pretty nice really.

Can you add some pics of the Lawn Ranger minus the hood so I can see the fuel tank bracket & how it's set up?

Got a Ranger here wanting a new Kohler for Christmas. :D

Michael Bullington

Hey Jon,

That serial number falls in line with the 754 tractors....also I see it has some 64 features....looks like a 64 model with a tank change....the tanks where bad to leak on the 63 and 64 models,,,someone could have switch out a two piece tank for a one piece tank...

Measure the hood the 754 and 854 hoods where longer than any other models

Michael

sorekiwi

The hoodstand and the frame are post '62, but it is a one piece tank. The serial off my '63 Ranger is 31420, so yours is quite a few after that....

Nice haul! :hide:

bell

Tickster... Yeah, I've got it BAD... :hide: I'll get some pics of the tank on the LR, tomorrow. (it is a square tank with the straps pop-rivited to the hood)

stone_henge, after talking to TT, I'm sure it is a 1964. The hood, however, is the same length as my 753 and 633's. I'm just going to call it a 854 with the wrong gas tank and hood. :D

HorseFixer

Jon does that first one have a plastic dash? Give me a shot of that please.

bell

here it is...

additions009.jpg

HORSEOFCOURSE

not to hijack this thread but,i got two serial numbers off from round fenders. i was wondernign if i could findout what model and year they are. first one is a 40466 and the other is 62-19555.

the first one had 6x12 tires on rear and narrow 8's ont the front. no motor.

the second one is just like it only had hard rubber 4 inch tires on front and 8's on the rear. the both have aluminum gas tanks built onto the steering coloumn. the 40466 has only a two spoke steering wheel. i also have another one almost identical to the 40466 that is missing the lit arm on the side, but has a three spoke wheel with a sleeve hitch. i could post some pics later.

oldandred

the frist picture could be a 754 but with a engine change and gas tank look at the belt cover and see if my chance they painted over the decal ? ma be 754 like some else said its in the area of the serial numbers the second one a lawn ranger any were from 1965-1968 unless you can see the long decal on the hood were it also may have been painted there should be a tag on the side of the hood stand left side with the numbers

bell

well, the decal is still on the belt guard.... I'll get out there and try to clean it off as soon as I can.

There are no decals on the sides of the hood and the I.D. tag is long gone on the Ranger.

bell

Well, I cleaned the paint off of the belt guard decal..... It says 702. :hide: That explains why the guy thought it was a 702 though.

I need to compare my serial numbers to some 754's and 854's and maybe, just maybe we can solve the mystery...

Michael Bullington

So far Ive seen 854's in the 47000 series and 754's in the 48000 series, but im sure that dont mean some of the 854's may have ran into the 48000 series,,,the largest number Ive personal found on the 854 is 47951 (which is really close) Ive not reseached alot of the 854's so maybe some owners can chime in their serial numbers, maybe it will tell more :hide:

Good Luck

WH854

Serial# on my 854 is 41124

Chas.

sorekiwi

Would it be practical for the forum to set up a database of members models and serial #'s? I know Mike (Stone Henge) has been collecting serials lately.

Maybe it could be in the same format as the "Where's everybody from" thread?

:hide:

TT

S/N 40779 on my 854.

Michael Bullington

Hey Bell,

I finally had a chance to get the serial number information for you on the 754's

here are the three serial numbers I came across on the 754's

I think Wild Bills is 48110

yours is 48306- It fits right in!!

I think oldandred has a couple of these tractors, I would like to see his serials

bell

WOW! thank you VERY MUCH!!! You just made my day! And I know now that I have a 754! :banana:

I got it out and drove it around today, and I'm 99% sure it has a 7hp k161 on it!!!! They have a different sound than the K181 (to me) and the oil drain plug hole is on the side, like my 753... Also, it has the "thin" air cleaner cover on it. Are there any other distinguishing features of the K161 that are different than the K181?

:hide: for your help! Jon

Kelly

I think there is a casting bump on the block, just above the oil pan where the coil mounts below the fuel pump, but I don't remember if the early K181's had that also, it was in a tread some time ago, about that, but I'm not good at finding that stuff, I'm sure TT knows and has a pic of the spot I'm talking about. :hide: