petes

Head Scratcher

petes

While under my 257-H greasing and making some adjustments, I found something odd. The neutral return assembly PN 109407, item #27, the cam actuator was completely bent away from the cam return and the bearing, cam return PN 100656 item #13 is missing.  There's no signs of something hitting it, it just looks like it may have been bent away on purpose. Does anyone know why this would have been done. Could there have been problems with the way it operated and this was the fix? I wouldn't think so, I feel it's unsafe to operate the tractor without the brake pedal bringing the selector lever back to neutral, also not being able to lock the selector lever in neutral when you set the parking brake. My first thought was to take it out and heat it up and bend it back and get a new bearing to make it safe, but would like to hear your thought on it.:banana-wrench:

brake and speed control linkage.gif

rmaynard

Was the tractor operating correctly before you noticed it?

petes
21 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Was the tractor operating correctly before you noticed it?

yes but I had to do a lot of adjusting to get the selector lever to operate properly. It would go forward and backwards but all in the same forward selector slot, you didn't have to put the selector lever in the reverse slot to go backwards (did that make ANY sense?).