The cruise control set up is pretty cool set up

20160205_140558_zpsphuuqni1.jpg

20160301_095814_zpsy7yv69nh.jpg

Here is one of the work benches funny how much room a tore down mower takes up

20160219_121254_zpsoawqdfdm.jpg

20160208_123929_zps5rlarmtz.jpg

• Like 3

ferguson65

Looks like a good fix on the axles Chuck.  It's the last issue I have to deal with on mine.  Threads like this inspire me to get to it!

Chuck...

Here is a few more pics of the teardown 

The cruise control set up is pretty cool set up

20160205_140558_zpsphuuqni1.jpg

20160301_095814_zpsy7yv69nh.jpg

Here is one of the work benches funny how much room a tore down mower takes up

20160219_121254_zpsoawqdfdm.jpg

20160208_123929_zps5rlarmtz.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

Nice work Chuck. ...thanks for the :text-coolphotos:

Chuck...
11 hours ago, ferguson65 said:

Looks like a good fix on the axles Chuck.  It's the last issue I have to deal with on mine.  Threads like this inspire me to get to it!

At 1st I wasn't to confident about tearing down the transmission but after I downloaded the manual and reading it a few times it didn't seem that hard.  

I am sure you prolly already new about this site but it was pretty helpful. https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Cutting a new keyway seems to be the best fix without buying new parts.  I wouldn't think a shop would charge much to cut them or maybe even a tech college would do it for cheaper.  

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 2

Chuck...

So I got her all tore down I ordered the 1st batch of parts.  Wasn't to bad for parts alot of it was battery tray parts that where missing when I bought it and then that control arm thing I broke.

20160417_075523_zps2h2yerdd.jpg

In the mean time I cleaned everything up whipped everything down.  I brought in a piece or 2 a day at work washing them up on break with the parts washer.  

I also ordered one 25 foot roll of 5/16 fuel line and one 25 ft roll of smaller fuel line for to replace the breather line on the fuel tank.

Here is it with the new fuel line waiting for my parts to come in.  I had a 5/16 bolt in the fuel line to keep it clean.  

20160301_104650_zpsw1xirfra.jpg

I was glad I had another machine to look at for the fuel line routing.  It's funny how fast you forget the fuel line route after you tank it off.  

I think I need other set of Jack stands to.  I was changing the wife's oil in her car and I was looking for my jack stands.  Then I remembered I was already using them on the toro.  

Thanks for looking

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 2

Chuck...

So this was what I was up to waiting for parts.  I took all of the rock shaft, break and forward/reverse  linkage apart cleaned them up and put them back together.  Judging by what they looked like it has been along time since they have seen a grease gun.  

One thing that was impressive was that they had like brass or bronze bushings on everything that moved with grease zerks.  Not bad for a mower.

This was it all put back together after being cleaned up

20160301_120023_zpshnsur012.jpg

• Like 1

Aldon

Glad your not near me geographically. I would be tempted to try and acquire one of your refurbished beasts! Lol

your doing a thorough job!

Edited by Aldon

Chuck...
28 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Glad your not near me geographically. I would be tempted to try and acquire one of your refurbished beasts! Lol

your doing a thorough job!

It will be for sale shortly.  60 inch deck and 44 inch 2 stage snowblower.  Not sure about the cab yet if I am going to keep it.  But the snowblower is in really nice shape.  

20160417_124514_zpsxx99mdpt.jpg

• Like 2

Chuck...

Well it took almost 2 weeks for the parts to come in.  Witch isn't to bad being as I bet they prolly don't sell alot of battery mounting parts.  Jacks small engines seemed to have the best price around that I found anyways.  They where about $36.00 less than parts tree for the same order. 

I had one little miss hap reassembling the transmission.  I read the manual and it said not to install the break seal until you get the case halfs together.  Did I listen to the manual no.

I ended up tweaking the seal case it got pinched anyways I had to render that part and wait like a week.  That's ok though.

Here it is all put together before I put all the break stuff on and the pump.  

I also replaced that suction tube.  I ended up getting a free drop of hose from a hydraulic store.   Was nice of him to give it to me it was only like a ft but still.

20160301_120143_zpszxfiyjye.jpg

Here is right before I bolted the pump to the transmission.  I had happend to have the little red caps from I think when I bought my air compressor regulator they fit perfect on the hydraulic fittings to keep them clean

20160308_102610_zpsfktdh9i9.jpg

This pic is right before I installed the transmission into the tractor.  

The smart steering assembly is on break assembly.  It's pretty heavy at this point.

20160308_110616_zpsgzpdeh8t.jpg 

Oh yeah I did clean the fan off I figured I would do it after it was together so I wouldn't get dirt in the transmission or in the pump

Thanks for looking

• Like 2

Chuck...

Well I got the transmission all reassembled now it's ready to slide back into the frame.

Here she is all ready to go back together.  

20160309_091027_zpsrkpruzuv.jpg

Here it is almost in.  I like this pic with the other 520lxi in the background

20160309_095020_zpsmch6esxi.jpg

Then worst part of the whole project so far was trying to get the transmission back in the frame.  It wasn't to hard but I got frustrated a few times trying to get the holes lined up and the drive shaft lined up at the same time.  But it wasn't that bad I wouldn't be a deal breaker if I had to do it again.

Now transmission all bolted in drive shaft bolted back together I figured it would be easier to fill it up with oil before I got the fenders and gas tank back on so I could clean any spills up easily.

20160309_110649_zpscighbdr7.jpg

Seems  to becoming along nicely so far.  

Thanks for looking 

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 2

Chuck...

I think the only thing I didn't teardown was the shifting rod thing but I cleaned it off well.  Otherwise I tore everything down and cleaned it from the steering wheel back

WHX??

Cleaned up real nice Chuck.... I would certainly be interested in that blower if it would fit up to  a 520H but I don't think it will. Does look to be in really good shape....maybe just have to come get the whole tractor from ya!!

What oil are you using in the hydro?

Edited by WHX61/3

wrightorchid

This is really a good thread to see how well these newer machines were made.  Many of us don't see these in our part of the country.

• Like 2

Chuck...
2 hours ago, wrightorchid said:

This is really a good thread to see how well these newer machines were made.  Many of us don't see these in our part of the country.

They really are pretty impressive machines. When toro build/designed them they didn't skimp on anything.  You could prolly count the number of plastic parts on 1 hand.  The front bumper (funny that's the part they choose to make plastic) but there is a metal real bumper behind it.  Then the gas tank and some dash parts prolly missing something but that's all that comes to mind.  Besides the steeringwheel.   Even down the the fasteners used everything has lock nuts on it and they aren't the cheap silver bolts on anything not sure of the grade but they are the gold color bolts.  

20160217_101312_zpsmoprtq0u.jpg

They also used brass/bronze bushings with grease zerks on the rock shaft 

They weigh in at like 1023 pounds with out any attachments on it.  I am not sure but it has to be close to one of the heaviest garden tractors produced.  

That with power steering tilt steering the cruise control even a cup holder make them hard to beat.  And the actual fuel and temp gauges on the dash

I am not sure about the other toro wheel horse models from this time I am just talking about the 5xi series 

You can prolly tell I am sold on them lol

Edited by Chuck...
  • Like 1

roadapples

Nice job you`re doing. Is this transaxle made by Eaton also?

Chuck...
1 minute ago, roadapples said:

Nice job you`re doing. Is this transaxle made by Eaton also?

Thanks I am kinda winging it.  Yes I believe it is made by Eaton just from what I read

• Like 1

Chuck...
6 hours ago, WHX61/3 said:

Cleaned up real nice Chuck.... I would certainly be interested in that blower if it would fit up to  a 520H but I don't think it will. Does look to be in really good shape....maybe just have to come get the whole tractor from ya!!

What oil are you using in the hydro?

Thanks I am pleased so far with it.  

The guy on ebay that I bought it all from says that his buddy bought out a toro dealer and the snowblower that I bought was new in the box.  But it was for the 520h he said the dealer modified it to fit on the 5xi they did a pretty good job I think.  But the snowblower it's self only has like 1 winter on it that's what the guy said but it looks like it's in good shape.  It will be for sale soon.

I just used what the owners manual said to use for the hydro regular 10W30 

Thanks for looking

WHX??

Keep me in mind as a potential buyer.

• Like 1

WHX??

Wadda ya think Brian @WNYPCRepair ...could be refitted to a 520H???? If not would be a shame if I had to have the tractor too!!!:greetings-clappingyellow:

WVHillbilly520H

If that 2stage was modified from a classic to an Xi they had to change a lot besides the obvious wider frame width of the Xi attach-a-matic the whole PTO belt drive jack shaft assembly is different the Xi comes out under the front grill/bumper and drives the blower gearbox straight in line, where the classic has the side PTO with a 90° Jack shaft gearbox, and of course the same modifying in reverse to go from Xi to say a 520H..maybe Chuck could post a picture of the rear/side, frame/gearbox of his Xi blower and compare to a classic style like mine,(pics before I rebuilt and painted it, don't judge P.O.'s chute wings said it kept the snow of him without a cab) just my :twocents-02cents:,Jeff.

IMAG1594.jpg

IMAG1593.jpg

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
10 hours ago, WHX61/3 said:

Wadda ya think Brian @WNYPCRepair ...could be refitted to a 520H???? If not would be a shame if I had to have the tractor too!!!:greetings-clappingyellow:

Yes, like Jeff said, it would not be easy to convert to a classic WH style. But, you need the tractor anyway. :)

Dennys502

The weight or mass of the wheel weights have little to do with the hubs being worn out unless you are running it with the wheels off the ground. With the wheels contacting the ground the spinning mass of the tire has very little momentum. The torque from taking off or stopping is the biggest factor. When you get more traction - then more torque is applied. The whole weight of the tractor comes into play when moving or stopping.

• Like 1

Chuck...
14 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

If that 2stage was modified from a classic to an Xi they had to change a lot besides the obvious wider frame width of the Xi attach-a-matic the whole PTO belt drive jack shaft assembly is different the Xi comes out under the front grill/bumper and drives the blower gearbox straight in line, where the classic has the side PTO with a 90° Jack shaft gearbox, and of course the same modifying in reverse to go from Xi to say a 520H..maybe Chuck could post a picture of the rear/side, frame/gearbox of his Xi blower and compare to a classic style like mine,(pics before I rebuilt and painted it, don't judge P.O.'s chute wings said it kept the snow of him without a cab) just my :twocents-02cents:,Jeff.

IMAG1594.jpg

IMAG1593.jpg

You just start that restoration on that snowblower yet you or you just pick it up recently.

Well he said it was alot of work.  He told me that the original 5xi snowblower was rusted out bad so they saved the mounting frame and the part of the classic snowblower they used was like from the impeller housing forward.  

To start out this was the classic numbers 

20160422_075126_zpseoanp1uv.jpg

Then the Xi numbers

20160422_103239_zpsk0am8unx.jpg

This is the classic one the hand crank is angled,  the side support brackets are bolted on, and the top is different from the Xi 

20160422_103112_zpszftkya4n.jpg

Still the classic then on the inside you can see looks like they welded a piece of angle iron on the blower housing.  

20160422_103056_zpsrw1ivrlw.jpg

Now the Xi 

The hand crank is mounted flat, the side support brackets are welded on 

20160422_103225_zpsxw9zqg5l.jpg

Then Xi again the gears are mounted different front the converted one

20160422_075332_zpsizxbtb5i.jpg

Anyways this is the converted one it is in pretty good shape and looms like they did a pretty good job of converting it to work on the xi.

20160422_103127_zpsnbfmbmdh.jpg

One thing I also noticed when I was comparing the 2 was the address one the model tag.  The old one the address was South Bend Indiana, and the Xi was Bloomington mn

I was just wondering what year they moved 

Edited by Chuck...

Chuck...

So after I got the transmission installed and all tighten down drive shaft bolted back on and the hydraulic lines hooked up and filled up with oil I was ready to fire it up.  Oh and I cleaned out that in line filter for the power steering.

I just ratchet strapped the gas tank down to the frame and hooked up the new fuel line to the tank.  

It started right up

20160309_114755_zpssnmfqjbq.jpg

20160311_112952_zps1gdn2ute.jpg

I let it warm up checked for leaks everything worked as is should.   Then cause I broke that control arm my linkages where out of wack.  I just followed the manual on how to adjust it.  

Then I cleaned up the gas tank I also put a new breather line on the tank good as new.  The only tape I could find that would actually stick to the tank was duck tape

20160311_123923_zps8lvw7pkr.jpg

Thanks for looking