Phatboy

Eaton 1100 oil

tbarnhart

Sure, I totally understand where you're coming from. I hope your 520s keep on going forever. I take it from Phatboy's posts that he is the type that likes to get everything as perfect as he can, and is willing to find out what is the best option and follow through with it. In this case, he asked whether it would be better to disregard the Toro recommendation and follow Eaton's recommendation about tranny fluid, specifically the John Deere Low-viscosity Hygard (jd20d). I have some customers that are exactly like that. Some folks would call them OCD. Then there are the folks who just do a good job at general maintenance, don't abuse their stuff, and generally have great success. (I like to think of myself as falling in this category.) Then, there's the guys that keep driving it until it dies and then seem to have no clue what happened or how to prevent it next time. Trying to explain PREVENTIVE maintenance to them is like singing to yourself in the shower. It sounds good to you, but really doesn't help anyone else that much. The line between too much attention to detail, and expensive failures is often pretty thin and seems to be a moving target. If I could figure it out in my business, I'd be able to retire. That being said, always keep looking for ways to improve. This forum, and the swapping of information is a good place to start.

• Like 4

cleat

Some fluid consideration comes from the temperatures it will be used in.

If my machines were to be parked out in the cold then I would need a fluid capable of flowing at very low temps.

If I lived in a hot climate then my main concern would be high temp thinning.

Personally, I live in a cool climate but keep my working machines in a heated garage so extreme cold startup temps are not an issue.

I run the recommended 10W30 with a Toro filter and all of my machines run and drive well. A slight delay on the lift with two of them but no real issue.

My old Ford LGT165 with an Eaton 11 trans. used ATF and it moaned and groaned a lot. Worked well, just noisy. Lift worked instantly however, even in the cold.

If I kept it, I was going to try 10W30 in it to see if it would quiet down. 

Phatboy
19 hours ago, tbarnhart said:

Sure, I totally understand where you're coming from. I hope your 520s keep on going forever. I take it from Phatboy's posts that he is the type that likes to get everything as perfect as he can, and is willing to find out what is the best option and follow through with it. In this case, he asked whether it would be better to disregard the Toro recommendation and follow Eaton's recommendation about tranny fluid, specifically the John Deere Low-viscosity Hygard (jd20d). I have some customers that are exactly like that. Some folks would call them OCD. Then there are the folks who just do a good job at general maintenance, don't abuse their stuff, and generally have great success. (I like to think of myself as falling in this category.) Then, there's the guys that keep driving it until it dies and then seem to have no clue what happened or how to prevent it next time. Trying to explain PREVENTIVE maintenance to them is like singing to yourself in the shower. It sounds good to you, but really doesn't help anyone else that much. The line between too much attention to detail, and expensive failures is often pretty thin and seems to be a moving target. If I could figure it out in my business, I'd be able to retire. That being said, always keep looking for ways to improve. This forum, and the swapping of information is a good place to start.

Tbarnhart you are so right i am definatly in the OCD catagory !! :ROTF:i just want the very best for my machines ,, that goes for my cars atv's and my motorcycles,,, so at 50 yrs old i habe learned to keep a open mind on new and improved things as technologies ,,as it is improved upon every day,, even if it cost more initially , in long run i feel the investment will be worth it if it increases the longevity of my toys lol !! So next month after i am done getting garden done and all the other projects such as flower beds etc,,, i will be putting in low viscosity hyguard,, as it is as you know a multi vicosity oil with a ISO base viscosity of 32.. And good to outside temps of -13 degrees and a high of 89 degrees which for me living in Pennsylvania is absolutly perfect for our weather,,, so thanks for all your in put everyone ,, it is greatly appreciated !!!

Edited by Phatboy