Rusty42

B80 Ammeter Repair

Rusty42

Hello to all!  Great forum you have here!  I recently picked up a 1975 B80 4spd with a charging problem.  While troubleshooting the charging system I found a wire backed out of the terminal crimp at the rectifier.  During the repair I noticed that the ammeter was disconnected and the 2 wires butt connected together.  I hadn't notice the ammeter not working when I bought the tractor but there was no way it was gonna work like that!  I tested the ammeter and found an open circuit between the positive and negative terminals.  If connected, this would have resulted in a "no crank" condition.  I then tested for continuity between the threaded posts the terminals are fastened to and found less than 1 ohm resistance,  AH HA!  I removed the ammeter and cleaned the oxidized/corroded terminal, nut, and threaded post.  I reassembled using locking washers to ensure contact, tested the connection and now had less than 5 ohms resistance in the ammeter circuit.  I installed the ammeter and it works like a charm!!  

20160410_190112.jpg

20160410_190203.jpg

20160410_190212.jpg

• Like 5

Terry M

Sounds like someone just " gave up" trying to troubleshoot the problem.:confusion-scratchheadblue:       Glad you figured it out:handgestures-thumbupright:.

Oh, and welcome to Red Square:text-welcomeconfetti:....

Edited by Terry M

roadapples

:WRS:

squonk

I don't understand how you can clean the connections and end up with more resistance. Unless the corrosion was so bad it shorted the terminals together kind of like a dirty battery top? :confusion-confused:

• Like 2

KC9KAS

:WRS:

Rusty42
2 hours ago, squonk said:

I don't understand how you can clean the connections and end up with more resistance. Unless the corrosion was so bad it shorted the terminals together kind of like a dirty battery top? :confusion-confused:

Less than 5 ohms is the spec for the ammeter circuit.  Cleaning the connections repaired terminals of the ammeter.  Initial testing showed infinite resistance in the ammeter circuit.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:          Clean and tight is the solution to most electrical problems.

Lots of us have replaced Amp Meters with Voltage meters as they will give you a better indication of what is happening.

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Rusty42
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:          Clean and tight is the solution to most electrical problems.

Lots of us have replaced Amp Meters with Voltage meters as they will give you a better indication of what is happening.

:text-welcomeconfetti:

No doubt if the ammeter was actually bad it was gonna getting replaced with a volt meter.  An ammeter is a good indicator of work, but current is often misunderstood. Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone!   :D

• Like 1

squonk
9 hours ago, Rusty42 said:

Less than 5 ohms is the spec for the ammeter circuit.  Cleaning the connections repaired terminals of the ammeter.  Initial testing showed infinite resistance in the ammeter circuit.

Ok you said it was less than 1 ohm that's what confused me which isn't a hard thing to do! :)

• Like 1

Retired Sparky

Hello and  :text-welcomeconfetti:  TO :rs: