Packrat1951

eaton 7 hydrostatic transmission parts availability

Packrat1951

Just got my 1988 WH 518 running after sitting around for 3 years (I replaced it after 25 yrs with a Kubota) now it  doesn't seem to want to move forward or reverse. I am about to remove and disassemble the hydro drive and was wondering if parts are readily available. Any guesses as to what might have gone wrong just sitting around for 3 years?

shallowwatersailor

Nothing in the rearend should freeze up, unless somehow water got inside. There are actually two "systems" with this transmission and transaxle, each with their separate fluids. Is the forward/reverse linkage binding? Are their acorns, etc.there? Is the brake stuck on? Does the belt turn the transmission or is it slipping? Unlike an Eaton 11, these cannot be moved without running the tractor.

JAinVA

I know nothing about Eaton 700s other than that's what the 312a I just got has.With the motion lever in neutral the rear tires just refuse to turn.By accident I found that if the transmission doesn't have its drive belt in place and the motion lever is in full forward or reverse mode the tractor rolls freely.I don't if that helps anyone else but knowing that would have saved me a lot of work when I picked up the 312.

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Edited by JAinVA

Packrat1951

Well the brake is disengaged, linkage is fine, belt turns the pump fine. I shouldn't be able to roll the tractor but it rolls instead of locking up. I am hoping that a valve or the like is stuck in the transmission. Hoping I don't need parts but was wondering if they are available if needed. Any other ideas or suggestions?

shallowwatersailor

If everything else is correct on the tractor, it sounds like the dump valve is not working correctly.