cranman51

1968 Commando 8 transmission fill question

cranman51

OK...              I just got a 1968 Commado 8 great shape........I want to change the tranny fluid before I break something.  I see the drain plug...where is the fill hole? The dipstick is missing and appears to be a horizontal tube going from the rear of the tractor to the tranny....can't fill through that...where might I acess a dipstick?

pfrederi

No dip stick on these old horses.  The drain pug you found on the bottom just to the left of the hitch was an 1/4" allen.  Great.  Same side there is a diagonal plug on the rear left side of the case.  That is the fill and level plug.  They only carry less tha 2 inches of gear oil in the bottom. Filling can be easier if you re3move the shifter lever and pour it in through there.  But putting it in thought the level/fill plug works OK just  a bit slowere.  Says 2 qts but usually comes out to be somewhat less.  When you drain it jack up the front of the tractor.  (there is a ridge in the bottom of the case that traps some oil to the front away from the drain.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

cranman51

Thanks for the info pfrederi!

Ed Kennell

Ditto on Everything Paul said.    If the fluid is foamy or dirty, you may want to flush it with diesel fuel before refilling.

I use a small plastic funnel with a piece of soft nylon tubing inside to fill mine.   You can insert the tube into the top of the funnel, then trim the spout off until  you can push the tubing thru and get a good seal.   The height of the oil in the funnel speeds up the process and the clearance around the tubing allows the air to escape from the case. It also  helps to warm the oil.

• Like 1