RMiller

312-8 Repair Help

RMiller

Recently started my 1987 132-8 tractor after the winter spent in the shed.  I used it for various hauling duties around the yard nothing too stressful really.  Last Sunday while tooling around the yard I noticed smoke from the undercarriage and a pretty vibrant smell.  I shut it down and checked the oil.  Sure enough I found some metal flecks in the oil.  I always seemed to go into gear oddly to me.  In 2nd or 3rd gear it would almost rear up on me if I didn't lean forward.  I want to do any repairs myself on this so can anyone guide me in the right direction here?  Am I dealing with some kind of striped gearing?  Is it a clutch issue? 

Pardon me that would be a 312-8 model

• Like 1

pfrederi

8 speeds I do not think ever get hot enough to smoke.  i would more suspect the belt and its pulleys.  i am not sure the metal flecks in the gear oil are related to the smoke and smell. Is the oil other wise clear or is it like Chocolate Milk?  The lurching would again make me suspect the belt.  Take the belt guard off and inspect the belt and spin the idler pulley to listen to its bearings they frequently are a fail point.  Is the belt an WH belt or after market???  I use after market belts on my horses except for the stick shifts.  There I use OEM as they are not prone to the jerkiness I have seen with Gates.

• Like 2

Phatboy

I would change the belt,, you can buy OEM Belts on amazon, part number  7473,, those are right from toro... Only about 23 bucks includes shipping... Then i would drain and flush out that tranny and fill with fresh gear oil,, add a pint of Lucas oil treatment to it.. Those shavings could have been caused 20 years ago,, so start fresh keep an eye on it ,, and definatly change the belt...just my 2 cents.

Edited by Phatboy

daveoman1966

These stick trannys are NOT syncromesh.  That is, you cannot shift on-the-fly from one gear to the next.  Oh, you can, but the gearbox will grind and object.  You have to start in any gear from a dead stop.

Ed Kennell

I'm going with Paul....The idler pulley bearings suffer a high radial load.

953 nut

Don't overlook the component that resides on the other side of the transaxle, your brakes. Could have a rats nest or other issues causing the brakes to drag.

• Like 1