Portuguese Farmer

New Member :)

Portuguese Farmer
53 minutes ago, Kegler said:

Welcome Brian,  A lot of great information on this site. Just noticed the way you had the tractor setting with the turning plow on it. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but you would get a smoother and better plowing job if you run with the right side wheels in the furrow of the last pass. that way the next pass roles the dirt back onto the last furrow. Or at least that's what we did on the farm.  I have never had to run a turning plow on my garden, just run through with a disk or set of cultivators, at most and it.s ready to plant.

Thanks for the tip, that's usually how we do it if its good soil, to be quite honest i just moved the tractor into this position for the picture at the time :) 

This was a new mini garden i opened up last year, it used to be a horse corral and the dirt was very hard and really rocky so i turned it over 4 times to a kill the grass and also i picked up the stones every time to try and get it free of rocks. Worked great actually after many passes and then tilling it actually gave great soil. Had the set the plow real deep, i don't know if you can see but i actually have a concrete block strapped to the moldboard to help it cut in :)

20150405_103008.jpg

20150606_134940.jpg

Here the finished garden last year:

20150628_194028.jpg20150802_183407.jpg20150829_131446.jpg

• Like 9

farmer

You are a man after my own heart, love the garden. Don't mind the concrete block sometimes I get the kids to hop on ( makes lifting up at the ends easier) :) :coffee:

ps    I'd get a cushion for that seat.  :blink:

Edited by farmer
  • Like 2

TDF5G

Great pics, nice garden!  When we were kids, we used to ride on the disc when my dad was discing with the :wh:.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Man o man, I bet having a garden in an old pasture would rock!

• Like 1

formariz

20150829_131446.jpg

You are indeed a Portuguese  Farmer.

• Like 1

Portuguese Farmer
7 hours ago, farmer said:

You are a man after my own heart, love the garden. Don't mind the concrete block sometimes I get the kids to hop on ( makes lifting up at the ends easier) :) :coffee:

ps    I'd get a cushion for that seat.  :blink:

:) just got one last weekend from northern tool looks and fits great! its only been 2 years that ive been using a rusty pan with a burlap sack seat cushion :lol:

Kegler

Looks like some good soil there, all those horse "pellets" sure make for some good fertilizer. Things are just starting to warm a little here, and plants starting to green up a little, but still way to wet to do any prep work in the garden. Hope you learn as much from this group as I have.