Phatboy

Steering wheel role pin help

Phatboy

Ok guys got the new role pin and bushing for my steering wheel ,, and having a hell of a time getting it out,, i dont wanna bang on steering wheel to much and mess something up ,, should i drill it ? Any ideas on a good way to get them out ,, i thought about going and buying a role pin punch that fits in my air chissle,, and let it hammer it out the wheel is loose on the shaft so once i get the pin out im home free... Any ideas would be appreciated,, thanks

Edited by Phatboy
  • Like 1

953 nut

PB Blaster and a roll pin punch should do it. The roll pin it hardened so making an attempt at drilling it out will only ruin a good drill bit. If you have a good small (Victor #00) gas welding tip you should be able to get a neutral flame small enough to heat the roll pin from both ends to break the rust free, this would also soften the metal enough to allow you to drill it out once it cools.

• Like 3

Phatboy
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

PB Blaster and a roll pin punch should do it. The roll pin it hardened so making an attempt at drilling it out will only ruin a good drill bit. If you have a good small (Victor #00) gas welding tip you should be able to get a neutral flame small enough to heat the roll pin from both ends to break the rust free, this would also soften the metal enough to allow you to drill it out once it cools.

Its on a 1996 and has rubber all aroind it ,, so ill do the pb blaster and air chissle with a role pin punch i guess,, thanks for reply bud!

• Like 2

N3PUY

I brace the steering wheel hub against a tree using a 2x4.  Then I can pound the pin out ... sometimes right into the 2x4.

• Like 7

JAinVA

Phatboy,

I can not find the original posts on this subject.What did you find was causing the looseness you described?JAinVA

squonk

I had a roll pin seized in my 1267. Broke my roll pin driver for my air chisel right off. Ended up shearing it off with bearing separators stacked below the wheel, a big honkin cresent wrench and a bigger honkin gear puller grabbing the separators. 897109581avatar.gif.3f8c30acfd41deffb214

953 nut
3 hours ago, squonk said:

big honkin cresent wrench and a bigger honkin gear puller

And probably a bigger honkin ten foot pipe on the big honkin cresent wrench.    :ychain:

• Like 1

Phatboy

All done guys i bought a role pin punch put it in my air chissle and waalaa,, i also got a bushing the one for steering shaft turned it upside down threw the plastic cover so the lip of bushing sits ontop of plastic cover and put steering wheel back on , with new role pin ,, like new again !!! Putting a bushing n that palstic cover works great !!

Edited by Phatboy
  • Like 2