Theroundhousernr

Remote Oil Filter for Onan Engines

Theroundhousernr

So I started going over my new 1994 520H. Everything looks clean except where the oil filter screws on. So I seem to remember ole Duke putting a remote oil filter on his onan but I beleive he used a factory kit. Would be nice to find a factory setup but then a buddy of mine said, Hey , Jegs sells remote oil filter kits that just screw on where the filter goes. They sell a bunch of different kits with different threads and bases.

This would make oil changes a breeze ,improve air flow across the cylinder and keep the oil and dust mess out of there. So If I can figure out what thread size it is for the oil filter and find a matching kit, life would be good and half the price most likely than an original kit.

So things I would like to know is what size tubing did onan use for there remote kit. I dont want to add anything more restrictive to oil flow.

Maybe a pdf file of that remote filter kit.

And the size thread of the original oil filter.

Lastly, anyones great input or advice on the topic.

Here is a link to the kits...http://www.jegs.com/p/Derale/Derale-Remote-Oil-Filter-Kits-Mounts-and-Adapters/961946/10002/-1

• Like 2

Phatboy

Great topic buddy,, didnt know there was such a thing,, definatly gonna look into it for my 520 v the increased air flow may off set me having to drill holes on mine ..So wheel Horse makes a kit also ? I will go to my dealer on monday and get part number and price ,, and report back here and post.. Thanks Buddy great topic..

Edited by Phatboy
  • Like 1

Theroundhousernr
1 hour ago, Phatboy said:

Great topic buddy,, didnt know there was such a thing,, definatly gonna look into it for my 520 v the increased air flow may off set me having to drill holes on mine ..So wheel Horse makes a kit also ? I will go to my dealer on monday and get part number and price ,, and report back here and post.. Thanks Buddy great topic..

No I do not think wheel horse made a kit. I am pretty sure its an Onan part number and kit. I will search for dukes snow chucker thread. He is the only one I know to install one. Dealer tells me no need to go drilling the guard. He has been a dealer for a long time. Says keep them clean, serviced and maint. is all that is needed. Even has a 1997 520H new in the box on the shelf.  Save your drool people... He will not sell that and will most likely be burried with it. On to the kit. The Onan takes a 3/4 16 thread so I am going to order that kit I beleive from jegs. Should work just fine. The guy that I go to if I ever stumble upon something I cant answer myself says he will buy the kit or eat his hat if that kit doesnt work. I asked him if he wanted it baked or fryed lol Seems like a fun project. Just need to make a bracket to mount the remote oil filter.

Oh and also. The onan kit, you remove the oil filter base and install a new machined block with the ports in it for the oil lines. With the jegs kit it just spins on the original oil filter base. Dont quote me on the onan thing till i dig a little more. But if memory serves me correct thats the way it works.

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 4

roadapples

I`ve used these on chevy 4x4`s where the oil filter is horizontal above the front drive shaft. NAPA should be able to match up the thread after looking up the filter. Look them up on flebay. There are all different kinds, some with the bracket made right on the filter bracket. Even if you don`t want to buy from them it will give you an idea of all the different styles available. Good luck.. keep us posted..:handgestures-thumbupright:         Just checked, price wise, Jegs is probably as good as you`ll get..

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 1

Phatboy
5 hours ago, Theroundhousernr said:

No I do not think wheel horse made a kit. I am pretty sure its an Onan part number and kit. I will search for dukes snow chucker thread. He is the only one I know to install one. Dealer tells me no need to go drilling the guard. He has been a dealer for a long time. Says keep them clean, serviced and maint. is all that is needed. Even has a 1997 520H new in the box on the shelf.  Save your drool people... He will not sell that and will most likely be burried with it. On to the kit. The Onan takes a 3/4 16 thread so I am going to order that kit I beleive from jegs. Should work just fine. The guy that I go to if I ever stumble upon something I cant answer myself says he will buy the kit or eat his hat if that kit doesnt work. I asked him if he wanted it baked or fryed lol Seems like a fun project. Just need to make a bracket to mount the remote oil filter.

Oh and also. The onan kit, you remove the oil filter base and install a new machined block with the ports in it for the oil lines. With the jegs kit it just spins on the original oil filter base. Dont quote me on the onan thing till i dig a little more. But if memory serves me correct thats the way it works.

Thanks for the reply buddy ,, definatly keep me posted tho cause id like to instal that on mine also.. A good place to remote mount might be right above the tranny filter,,, or on opposite side ..but again thanks for doing all the leg work , so to speak on this one ,, maybe send me a PM when all done and i can get up with you for all the particulars,, part numbers and what ya did exactly ,, again thanks and happy easter !!!

Edited by Phatboy
  • Like 1