AMC RULES

Nice one to restore there.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Phil854

Great tractor in his work cloths!!!

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:        You did well to come up with all the parts and pieces. It always scares me when I see an incomplete :wh:, getting the parts can be more costly than the original tractor. Looks great as is, but will look fantastic restored. Ultimately it is your tractor and your decision.

• Like 2

slammer302

Looks great and even a proper steering wheel witch can be hard to find. I have a 502 & 633 that are in need of steering wheels

ACman

As I can't work on it myself , my thoughts to leave it as is for now and show off the super straight patina metal . Hopefully not much wrong with engine . I know I need a fuel pump and air cleaner . 

• Like 2

slammer302

Nothing wrong with the patina look

• Like 2

ACman

If I can't get the engine to run , the new wood spliter came with a 7hp kohler . I'll use that and the wood spliter can use my HF engine . 

• Like 2

RedRanger

Leave the patina.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

oliver2-44

Very nice.

ACman

Thanks everyone , I do have some paint questions . I'll try to get some pics today . On both tractors there is some previous  paint work done but on both tractors there is some a dark burnt orange color shown . Even the 702 decal is that color . It looks to me it might had been the original color , unless it's primer coming through ( did the factory use primer ) . Has anyone seen this color before . 

ACman

Here's a pic of the inside of my belt guard , you can see that orangish color under the red . image.thumb.jpeg.e2bb49a49b27defb1509cd2

Kegler

Looks like it might have been spray bombed over the original, faded, red and now its coming off.

• Like 1

ACman

Going to brave the weather, (high winds and rains ) going to barn , show why I'm questioning  this paint . Especially on two different tractors.

Edited by ACman

RedRanger
2 hours ago, Kegler said:

Looks like it might have been spray bombed over the original, faded, red and now its coming off.

Agree.  Looks like someone sprayed a cheap red over the original paint and dirt and it is now fading and peeling off.

I'd leave it alone.  Patina looks good.

The red behind the 702 decal looks original and faded to me.  The original paint on these turns all kinds of colors as it ages.  I've seen it turn orange, dark red, light red, pinkish, brown red, all on the same tractor.

My 867 was orangish when I bought it.  After buffing, it is now red again.  The orange haze rubbed off.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, ACman said:

dark burnt orange color shown . Even the 702 decal is that color . It looks to me it might had been the original color , unless it's primer coming through ( did the factory use primer ) .

Lots of :wh: and other garden tractors were used hard and put away wet, literally. Fertilizer, pesticide and other residue will take their toll on any paint job over time and they were just using lead based enamel at the time. Still way better than the Kubotas in the '80s; the first two I bought for the farm were fading and rusting within a year. We bought a couple more but as soon as they were delivered I repainted them. We were replacing the Massey Harris Pony and Allis Chalmers Gs that had been worked to death over a 30 to 40 year period. in retrospect I wish we had put that money back into them.

• Like 2

ACman

image.thumb.jpeg.73bd10eb4c1867432881350Here's why I'm questioning the paint . The top photo is just how I bought the tractor for $100 . image.thumb.jpeg.ccdd6facc95838e69131208

This shows more of that deep burnt orange , with it looks to have a darker red over it. Look at the color of that decal.image.thumb.jpeg.90a5bfa3620327b11bda9bcimage.thumb.jpeg.7d839ab56068cc36dffa60c

The two photos above are of my other 702 which had my engine,hood,fenders,toolbox,and wheels and tires . These photos also show some of that orangish paint underneath . I grew up in a Allis Chalmers dealership and I've seen lots of tractors in veracious states of condition . It's weird to me that two different tractors have the same color paint under them , makes me think they left the factory with that color . Did the factory use a primer ? Anyone have a real nice original 702 they can post pics of .

• Like 2

AMC RULES

The orange colored red there underneath is the original factory color...

and most closely matches International Harvester red. 

My factory original paint, 653 shown here for comparison. 

IMG_1639.thumb.JPG.27c3f80c1d600cfc80c1eIMG_1641.thumb.JPG.650b109b14b2e0f888635IMG_1395.thumb.JPG.c81547027e3f240e28141

This last pict shows the UV faded paint on the lower engine tins, where the hood doesn't cover. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

ACman

I can see that paint tuning Orange on that techy , but I don't recall seeing a old farmall or international turn that orange . I know the punds were frugal and probably didn't use the same quality paint as the big tractor brands . The Allis paint I use to use was some good stuff ,took forever to dry but lasted forever . The orange on those 702s looks like an old weathered Allis Persian orange . I guess it really doesn't matter if I'm just going to but one together and get it going .

ACman

image.thumb.jpeg.301e1cbba270a5088e481bcHad a good vist from lane ranger today . My son wanted to see what the 702 would look like with duals and the grader blade hooked up . Now if I could actually get him to get it running . Come to find out the two tires are Wheel Horse brand . 

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4

dells68

Look around the hole in the dash pedestal on the left side of your tractor.  Looks to me something was in this hole when the tractor was paints over again leaving a line showing original red where the object was.  Seems like I read somewhere that :wh: didn't use primer.  None of mine have had any that I could tell yet.

RedRanger
14 hours ago, dells68 said:

Look around the hole in the dash pedestal on the left side of your tractor.  Looks to me something was in this hole when the tractor was paints over again leaving a line showing original red where the object was.  Seems like I read somewhere that :wh: didn't use primer.  None of mine have had any that I could tell yet.

Agree on the lack of primer on WH.  I don't think they used any.

I'm guessing the paint back then had such a great amount of harsh (quality) chemicals, primer was not needed.

Chris G

My 702 had the same orange color showing through.

IMG_20160712_121059253.jpg

rmaynard

According to all I've read, primer was not used by Wheel Horse. However, having said that, I have a Commando 8 and an 857, both purchased from original owners who claim they never had the tractors repainted. Both had yellow paint under the top coat on much of, but not all of the sheet metal.

:scratchead: