Aldon

Another GT14 tank repair

Aldon

I really need the weather to start turning as I can't seem to wait any longer to work on tractors. So I braved the cold today and decided to tackle the tank repair on my back up GT14.

I plan on posting it on classifieds once I have her back together and ship shape.

While the repair itself is easy, it is a royal pain to get tank out to do the modification.

First the incision...

image.thumb.jpeg.ba88a7652866ee2fb16f8cf

Then cut the offending leaking cracked nipple off. The tanks are molded together and the seam is through center of the nipple. This is a weak point on this design and very often it fails.

cut it flush.

image.thumb.jpeg.2cf26350e607d2d855fb9da

I used a dremel blade to make the cut and a dremel metal removing bit to contour the remaining surface. Then using drill bit that is the same diameter as the grommet I enlarge the hole.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b146de5f8ccaeb14999170image.thumb.jpeg.1b026129396d8b2bcb288b2

note that there is substantial tank thickness to accept the force fit that comes at the end.

image.thumb.jpeg.2b3e92e235278f5d9f3c1a3

insert the grommet. In pic it's not fully inserted yet. Push in in until flush.

image.thumb.jpeg.1edeee06ffb759064a52ce2

Then the fun starts. The leak proof seal is cause by pressure of the grommet to the sides of the tank when you insert the steel fitting. It's easy to start but can be a bit of a wrestling match to get it inserted fully. It will go in though. Part numbers can be found on my GT14 restomod thread as I documented there for that restoration.

image.thumb.jpeg.2b68ce5ee598cb2ac3e0884image.thumb.jpeg.038ff1b13fc3967c68ce762

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo

Aldon,

Superb modification.

Learned by empirical experience only.

This is No. 2, right???

Outstanding GT 14 info.

You are the GT 14 restoration master!

Phenomenal photo documentation is what makes it all so special.

• Like 3

Aldon

Yes. This is my second tank repair.

However I will go ahead and do the same mod on my most recent acquisition as well as soon as I get the parts. I can't stand leaking tractors.

• Like 2

ztnoo

Although, I'm not currently having problems, that damned nipple has leaked for me in the past, but luckily, somehow, I got it to quit.

I know down the line, this is a BIG ACCIDENT waiting to happen when it fails.

It's not "if", but "when".

I'll review your parts list and get busy with ordering what I know I will need, sooner, rather than later.

It's hard to dismiss real world "fixes".

IMO, this highlights one of the top 5 negative things about the GT 14.

The list isn't long. Realistically maybe 3 or 4 items.

This was beast of a tractor when it was created, and a great standard by which heavy duty lawn tractors should follow.

Mine is 47 years old and still working. What does that say about "build quality"????

A great, massive, strong, solid plastic tank with a little wimpy ass fuel nipple sticking out the bottom..............just begging and waiting to get ripped off.

The WH engineering staff must have taken "the day" off when that design was dreamed up.

The first lunar landing was July 20, 1969. Maybe that was "the day".

That era created lots of "dreaming", depending on user consumption options.

Still leaves me wondering how that flaw was created.

A bad long term consumer problem.......

Great stuff Aldon!

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 2

Aldon

Agreed. With a 50!year old design, there's bound to be rooms for improvement.

my thoughts on areas that are now room for improvement.

1) deck mounting system. adding attach-a- matic brackets should fix that gap. Allow use of more implements.

2) gas tank

3) I like the hydro lever on C Series better. And I would like to add foot control. Having a difficult time trying to figure out how to modify it so it can control in reverse as well as forward. May not get done with initial build of Resto-mod. I have pretty much settled on Dubbing it "Romulus". As I am already started in its quasi twin.

4) no brake. Hydro is the brake. Independent rear breaks to assist steering would be an upgrade worthy of considering if I could figure how.

5) parking pawl/brake - minor deficiency.

Lack of cup holder almost makes my top five. Lol

I reserve right to change my top 5 if someone brings up something I hve overlooked. 

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

Pollack Pete

Aldon,I have 4 or 5 GT-14's.While I haven't had any leaky gas tank issues yet,I have had the gas tanks out of all of them ,usually for carb work and fuel hose replacement.How do you like the weight of that monster grill? Almost need a chain hoist to lift it.And how about getting the bottom bolts back in when re-installing the grill? Love those GT-14's though.I like your nipple repair.Good old yankee ingenuity.

• Like 1

Aldon
1 hour ago, Pollack Pete said:

Aldon,I have 4 or 5 GT-14's.While I haven't had any leaky gas tank issues yet,I have had the gas tanks out of all of them ,usually for carb work and fuel hose replacement.How do you like the weight of that monster grill? Almost need a chain hoist to lift it.And how about getting the bottom bolts back in when re-installing the grill? Love those GT-14's though.I like your nipple repair.Good old yankee ingenuity.

Pete,

Sounds like you've had good luck acquiring units that were not defective.

Once the tractors are in the hands of someone who is skilled at maintenance and they are operated with some care, it is doubtful the tanks will spontaneously break.

The two issues that result in the failure are over tightening of the hose clamps on the nipple and physical impact as it is in a less than ideal location.

I have some gas line tubing that maintains flexibility in low temps which allows a good deal to the nipple without excessive force. I may use this on my GT14#3 and keep it original if the nipple is in good shape.

And your observations are correct in regards to weight and lining up the base. Pain in the ...... PITA:-)

ztnoo
On 3/6/2016 at 9:47 PM, Aldon said:

Lack of cup holder almost makes my top five.

I would suggest checking with Manny about this optional user equipment.......as he seem to have that program well scoped out.

thumbup.gif.03d17074eb2b80663baa9185498f

• Like 1

Dan Hankins

Aldon I tried finding your GT14 restomod thread to find the part numbers you used and can't find it. I recently got a gt14 and have the same problem. How can I find the thread or do you have the part numbers handy?

Aldon
12 minutes ago, Dan Hankins said:

Aldon I tried finding your GT14 restomod thread to find the part numbers you used and can't find it. I recently got a gt14 and have the same problem. How can I find the thread or do you have the part numbers handy?

Here is the GT14 Restomod thread link:

See post #94.

I almost never am able to find what I want using forum search. 

I use Google search and am usually able to find it within the first 2-3 searches changing search criteria.

Edited by Aldon

Dan Hankins

Thanks aldon, that was the problem I was having. I was able to find it through Google search and now have the part numbers. Thats a nice build you did also.