Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Woodruff Key Question

MaineDad

OK guys,

I picked up a new woodruff key from the local Toro dealer for my 314-8's axle hub. The original key had a small lip on the top of the key. The key, part #937108 does not look anything like the original key. First off, it's bigger and secondly, it does not have that small lip. The dealer did not give me the key in a bag with a part number, so perhaps it's the wrong key.

Anyone know what I mean regarding the lip on the top of the key? I'm going to bring them the original tomorrow to show them the difference.

Duff

OK guys,

I picked up a new woodruff key from the local Toro dealer for my 314-8's axle hub. The original key had a small lip on the top of the key. The key, part #937108 does not look anything like the original key. First off, it's bigger and secondly, it does not have that small lip. The dealer did not give me the key in a bag with a part number, so perhaps it's the wrong key.

Anyone know what I mean regarding the lip on the top of the key? I'm going to bring them the original tomorrow to show them the difference.

Micah, they may have changed spec between '89 and '96, but my 312-8 doesn't have any lip on the woodruff key. Also, I hope the Toro dealer was gentle on you - I replaced both keys on my 312-8 with stock items from my local hardware store for about $2 total if I recall. :D

Best,

Duff :hide:

kpinnc

The only thing I can think of that would give you a "lip" on your key is the hub moving.

The key should be flat on the top and both sides. I would definately check your hub and axle for wear in the keyway...

Duff is correct, your local hardware store has them for less than a buck each. Just picked a couple up myself.

Kevin

ol550

The farm supply store where I get my keys has them both ways. I have been using the lipped key because I feel you get more contact in the hub. :hide:

Mike

TT

The keys with the "lips" you are referring to are non-rock keys. They are made so they remain parallel to the shaft surface while the hub, pulley, collar, etc. is installed. (a standard woodruff key has a tendency to rock upwards out of the opposite end of the keyway during assembly)

They are no stronger than a standard woodruff key because the line of shear is ultimately the same length across the top of the keyway.

They seem to be used more often in mass production or assembly line settings to aid in faster assembly with less chance of key loss.

• Like 1