Jack45

Help with Disc

Jack45

Hello All,

I am a new Wheel Horse owner.  My father gave me a couple of Wheel Horses.  My grandmother bought one in the late 60s.  The other is a suburban I think.  It has no markings.  My father recalls his mother using both around the old homestead.  My wife and I are now the homesteaders and these old girls will be put back to work.  Along with the WHs, i received a four wheel trailer, plow, disc and a front blade.  My dad recalls his mother using all of the implements except the disc.  It is missing the connector bar and I was hoping to track down a new one or have one made so I can use it in the spring.  I have attached a picture of the disc and would appreciate any information that anyone has on it.  I am pretty sure I am going to have to take them apart.  The discs do not turn very easily at all.

Thank you for your time.

Rob

disc.jpg

Edited by Jack45
better picture
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

Can't help with you disc question...

but can extend you a hearty...

:WRS:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
18 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Can't help with you disc question...

but can extend you a hearty...

:text-yeahthat::text-welcomeconfetti:

I have no doubt you will get answers shortly...These guys know everything WH...

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Got any pictures of your other new toys?

• Like 1

KC9KAS

• Like 1

Jack45

Here are some pictures of what i have.  My dad bought this one to use as parts for my grandmothers.  He gave it to me a couple of months ago and I was able to get it running.  I noticed someone cut a chunk out of the metal under the steering wheel.  Maybe to fit the motor in? The other tractor is in storage (110 miles away) and I will pick it and the blade up in the next month or so.

Neither has the original Kohler motors.  I can remember taking the Kohler to shop class in 1988 in High School and we could never get it running or find parts for it back then.  My dad scrapped it 20 years ago.  This one has a Tecumseh 5 HP mounted on it.

My dad remembers standing on the plow when he was a kid to get it into the ground.  The trailer bed was built by my Uncle but the running gear is still original.  I need new tires.  It sat out in the weather for 10 years before my dad gave it to me.  It uses 4.80/4.00 X 8 tires.  My local Fleet Farm has them for $35 each which seems high when I have to put $6 tubes in each one as well.  I also want to repaint the rims.  They just seem much cooler than new ones. 

Jack45

Plow.jpg

WH.jpg

Edited by Jack45
smaller pictures to take up les space
  • Like 5

953 nut

:text-welcomeconfetti:              Always glad to see the :wh: pass on the family members. The draw bar on my ( agri-fab, not :wh: ) discs is simply a piece of 2" channel iron connected bu a couple of bolts. If you go to the gallery on this site you will find an implements section, sure you will find some discs there. 

• Like 1

Jack45

Here is trailer. Hubs are rusty but it is only surface rust.

trailer.jpg

Edited by Jack45
  • Like 1

Jack45
18 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:              Always glad to see the :wh: pass on the family members. The draw bar on my ( agri-fab, not :wh: ) discs is simply a piece of 2" channel iron connected bu a couple of bolts. If you go to the gallery on this site you will find an implements section, sure you will find some discs there. 

I don't think it is anything complicated either.  I just need to know how long that bar should be.  Anyone taken these discs apart?  Does it use any sort of seals or anything.  I see that it has a couple of grease nipples for each side.  I can barely turn teh wheels on one side.  The other is seized tight.  May need to get the BIG hammer out. :)

elcamino/wheelhorse

Be gentle with B A Hammer you don't want to destroy something that can't be replaced.:text-welcomeconfetti: 

• Like 1

953 nut

I have generally found that a bit of heat from a torch will loosen up things that have rusted up, the fact that they will turn is a plus.

That wagon looks like it is very well built.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

roadapples

Good start to the wheel horse addiction, and welcome to Red Square..

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Here is what a Wheel Horse DP-861 disc looks like disassembled yours should be similar in function. The gangs have steel bushings. The bushings are supposed to turn in the gang and the disc should not spin on the axle, they should all turn as one. And :WRS:

SAM_0196.thumb.JPG.31e8bd669f33b8b6b5d4f

The old bushings on this one were frozen and had to be pressed out

SAM_0191.thumb.JPG.3c9d13dd97af38a95e73e

Gangs all reassembled

SAM_0228.thumb.JPG.d9807c613f7a623f7c8dd

Completed assembly. Go easy with the hammer, heat and a press are your best friends when taking a disc apart. Good luck!

SAM_0907.thumb.JPG.f1a15eeed0d7d3b8b84fa

Edited by Molon_Labe
Info
  • Like 9

Jack45

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes.  I appreciate it. 

My disc only has the single post per side.  I imagine yours was the improved version.  I also don't have that nifty block rack. 

Could you take a couple of measurements of that connector piece for me?  How long is the bar?  The loop on top looks like that bar is adjustable in some way.  Is that correct?  How well does the disc work?  I took the plow out a little before the ground froze and turned a bit of sod.  Is the disc used after the plow breaks the sod?  I am pretty new at using a tractor in general.  I need to find me one of those spring tooth implements as well.

Thanks again!

Molon_Labe
39 minutes ago, Jack45 said:

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes.  I appreciate it. 

My disc only has the single post per side.  I imagine yours was the improved version.  I also don't have that nifty block rack. 

Could you take a couple of measurements of that connector piece for me?  How long is the bar?  The loop on top looks like that bar is adjustable in some way.  Is that correct?  How well does the disc work?  I took the plow out a little before the ground froze and turned a bit of sod.  Is the disc used after the plow breaks the sod?  I am pretty new at using a tractor in general.  I need to find me one of those spring tooth implements as well.

Thanks again!

Jack,

The overall length of the drawbar is 22", 21" to the center of the hitch pin. The drawbar itself is 18" of 3/4" rod welded to 6" of 1/2X1-1/2 bar stock to accommodate the slot hitch. Your setup is different but those numbers should give you a good starting point. The DP-861 was made so that the gangs could run straight or at an angle, that's the reason for the looped pin in the bar. The pic below shows how the adjuster works. SAM_0259.thumb.JPG.2b33eca0c9d323b949b64

After you plow run the disc to break up the clods, you usually have to wait a few days between plowing and discing to allow the turned ground time to dry a bit. You may also need to figure out a way to add some weight depending on how hard the ground is to really get the disc to work well. You'll figure it out, and if you need any help, there is lots of that here. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

BESTDOGEVER

The angle of the disc sets should be adjustable  and seem like they could be less severe  once you get them freed up. 

6wheeler

Welcome. Nice old disc you have there. I would put penetrating oil on the stanchions and let it soak awhile. The axle should come loose. If not? Heat it a little. Be careful. Once you get it loose? The axles can be taken apart as ML,s pics showed. Be careful not to hit the blades hard or they can and do break. After you get it all fixed up? Keep it greased. As far as the hitch goes? I would make an "A" frame hitch with the side brackets attaching to the outer edges of the toolbar. I am sure you noticed that the gangs are not centered on the toolbar. Just loosen the bolts and slide them over to where you want them. I cannot tell from the pics. if the tops of the stanchions have casted "keys" on them to keep the gangs from turning or changing pitch. If so? You may not be able to make the "bite" less aggressive. One nice thing on that toolbar? As it is slotted like it is? Put some long bolts on it from the bottom up and use barbell weights if you need more weight. The plow looks good too. Just needs to be used. There are several posts on here on how to adjust your plow. Good Luck  Pat 

evanloock

The manual for your PP-8 plow is above.  Unfortunately the manual for your disc is not contained on this site.  I have a copy back at my other place as well as the same disc.  These two implements were used on the mid- engine tractors. This particular plow was not used on the RJ-35 as the tounge length is too short. The disc had two versions; an earlier one with the extended tongue used on the RJ-35 and a later one with a shorter tongue used on the RJ-58/59, Suburban 400/550 and 401/551 tractors.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Jack45:  Here is a copy of the manual for the Wheel Horse DP-118  disc that you have.   Hopefully this will help you with your restore project.  This is from the November 1959  Wheel Horse Master Parts Catalog.

WH  Disc  DP-118 -Disc Harrow.jpg

• Like 2

Jack45

Thank you for both of these files.  The pictures are very helpful.  I have a friend that is handy with a torch that is going to help me build that draw bar that is missing for the disc.  I sprayed them down down with WD-40 but haven't gotten the bolts loose yet.  I have gotten both sides of the discs to turn now though.  These will be working machines so I may just see if I can't squeeze some grease in and see if that helps.  One turns very freely but the other one is still pretty tight.  How loose should these discs turn?

In other good news, my father found ANOTHER wheel horse in the back of a storage garage that he forgot he had.  That will give me three to play around with.  I will try and get pictures soon as I can so you can help me identify it. :)

• Like 2

bob's toy

Looking for a disc for my collection. I am not much help as I am new to WH . I just want you to know we have a great bunch of WH people that really know their stuff. WELCOME to our happy family..

• Like 2