WVHillbilly520H

N.O.S. 522xi found...

WVHillbilly520H

Always good to have friends in the business ,so anyways another WV native has Steiner/Ventrac small engine/equipment shop nearby where I work and by his opinion/experience thought with the Dxi still turning over by hand just the bottom end would require attention ( turn crank new bearings maybe bore cylinders and pistons/rings) had other brands with "same" engine (up to 31hp turbocharged) with 2000+ hrs and still had the original crosshatch in the bores when replacing the head/gasket...his final thoughts were I should be "locked" :ph34r: up for stealing that tractor...and they were the best L&G tractors made to their demise...:text-bravo:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Upon going too see another :wh: friend I may have a line on a 2 stage blower for the Dxi, when leaving out the door I run into fellow trailering a 417-A,we swapped stories for a moment said it was his dad's from new (asked if it was for sale lol) no of course but he had "all" the attachments including the generator wow I said lucky you...I don't think he knew what he had till I told him...a couple quick shots in the rain, now off to work,Jeff.

IMAG1755.jpg

IMAG1756.jpg

• Like 4

WNYPCRepair

Well, no $5 engine.  

56afc5e4d6250_ScreenShot2016-02-01at3.39

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

I reckon it was worth a shot though,too bad you'd made out like a bandit.

• Like 1

ferguson65
18 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

My blade I bought for the xi was bent, so  swapped the blade from my 520. Perfect fit by the way, if the price were right it is probably easier than bending the old one straight again. 

FYI, the blade itself is still available from Toro for $190..............Likely cheaper than buying a complete plow.  I may be somewhat biased though as I'm looking for a complete plow!

Edited by ferguson65
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair
4 minutes ago, ferguson65 said:

FYI, the blade itself is still available from Toro for $190..............Likely cheaper than buying a complete plow.  I may be somewhat biased though as I'm looking for a complete plow!

Thanks. I wonder if a local Toro dealer might have one

shallowwatersailor
22 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Hopefully after I get it home it really isn't as bad as I fear, he said they had just serviced it (oil change I'm guessing)and that it turned over by hand after the oil dump (drain plug came out while mowing)but never said why they didn't get it going... Do these engines have a low/no oil pressure cut-off ? If so and the fact it turns over by hand has me thinking it's really not that bad but if it's locked up then I might've bit off a little more than really wanted to

No low oil cutoff. Just the warning light for low oil pressure. That is why it fried.

Something to file away for when it will run again. The fresh oil has to be poured slowly in the center of the filler hole. It can hydro lock due to the way the oil passages are in the head.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 2/2/2016 at 8:10 PM, shallowwatersailor said:

No low oil cutoff. Just the warning light for low oil pressure. That is why it fried.

Something to file away for when it will run again. The fresh oil has to be poured slowly in the center of the filler hole. It can hydro lock due to the way the oil passages are in the head.

Just got done talking to another fellow extremely familiar with the Briggs/Daihatsu engine family gas and diesel (Ventrac)...in his experiences they are solid reliable engines naturally asperated with supposed 10k hr life span when properly maintained and in his opinion with the oil dumping while running then if shut off in time and still turns over by hand "put new oil&filter and try starting and running to temporarily if NO knocks and change again repeat 2-3 times if no abnormal sounds then run it" or err on the side of caution pull engine drop oil pan then 1 or main and rod caps examine and or replace bearings ect check bores for scratches/gouging/heat checking and replace or if good button it back up install and do the oil change sessions and run it following PMs and be happy stole it for $800,Jeff. Also on the oil fill issue HE said he never noticed it when servicing/oil change on the Ventrac with these engines just his experience.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
add text
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Yes, they are a solid engine! They are not a throwaway engine at all and should do a few thousands of hours - properly maintained. The first real service is actually at 600 hours with checking the head bolts, and if needed adjusting the valves.

I thought that the dealer tried to get it started before. I haven't had any problems with mine other than finding the battery in mine is getting questionable. I happen to leave it off the battery tender for a while and the glow plugs didn't have enough voltage to make the relay. Solved that by plugging it back in!

Here is the repair manual, if you haven't found it.

Daihatsu B&S 3 cyl diesel Service Manual.pdf

WVHillbilly520H

To my understanding they didn't get around to trying to start it just seen oil plug was missing and turning in over by hand then pushed out the door....IDK... (he's 83 yrs old and his mechanic is 60ish and on oxygen)(no joke)...and the voltage regulator is supposedly what's wrong with the H.    My thoughts are they're just aren't able to fully service/repair these machines anymore...just a parts and repair advice and old school country store hangout if get what I'm saying here...Yep 20 yrs ago they did it all now just sell them and parts and very small (2 cycle) repair jobs,I'm sure between the H (I just bought) traded in on the Dxi then it traded in on a Simplicity Legacy Dxl he had made his money back why repair it when someone like us walk in and buy them just my thoughts,Jeff.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

To my understanding they didn't get around to trying to start it just seen oil plug was missing and turning in over by hand then pushed out the door....IDK... (he's 83 yrs old and his mechanic is 60ish and on oxygen)(no joke)...and the voltage regulator is supposedly what's wrong with the H.    My thoughts are they're just aren't able to fully service/repair these machines anymore...just a parts and repair advice and old school country store hangout if get what I'm saying here...Yep 20 yrs ago they did it all now just sell them and parts and very small (2 cycle) repair jobs,I'm sure between the H (I just bought) traded in on the Dxi then it traded in on a Simplicity Legacy Dxl he had made his money back why repair it when someone like us walk in and buy them just my thoughts,Jeff.

WVHillbilly520H

Found and old picture of my dealer from when we were still neighbors...can you find the lone red horse in a sea of Orange,Jeff.

Screenshot_2016-02-04-13-00-05_1.jpg

DennisThornton
On 2/1/2016 at 3:54 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

Well, no $5 engine.  

56afc5e4d6250_ScreenShot2016-02-01at3.39

Darn!  Guess mine will refunded too!  :(

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Found this xi single stage on CL nearby me wonder if anyone could give me a ballpark figure to offer...by the pic it looks nearly unused,Jeff.

Screenshot_2016-02-08-22-26-16.png

WHX??

230 bills. ..guys a moron if he doesn't set his price tho....heck go offer 50 maybe he  is a CL crazy 

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
17 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

230 bills. ..guys a moron if he doesn't set his price tho....heck go offer 50 maybe he  is a CL crazy 

He has about half a dozen :wh: tractors also listed...$650-$900 each(312, 417/8 ,516,and a 520 painted green and yellow) :angry-nono: and a '70s puller for $1800 but no price for the thrower :eusa-think:...i've actually called and talked to this fella before looking for a 2stage as he also says he has several attachments but not listed or pictured...and midmount grader blades for $7-900 :blink:...btw thanks for the quick response,Jeff.

Screenshot_2016-02-08-23-13-33.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
add pic

WHX??

Yah Jeff this guy is a bona fide CL Crazy if he has a 520 in green ....beware & have fun with this one....

Holy cripes he does have a 520 in green. ...seen it all now...

• Like 2

HokieAg07

Others have had dealings with the seller shown in the Craigslist ad. He is a good guy who buys and sells WH. I am surprised to see him posting things on the computer, not something I would have ever expected to see him doing, perhaps someone is helping him. 

WVHillbilly520H

Thanks Hokie, I have spoken over phone with him last year,just didn't have what I was looking for then or if he did just outta my price range,Jeff.

WVHillbilly520H

Well look what followed me home today a "Good Friday"...the 520H actually reads 236 on the hour meter lets hope it's still working though it's pretty grimy and not very well cared for...I drove it up in the truck bed on ramps...the 523Dxi though was winched up in the trailer, also got a free clevis hitch out of the deal too...I'll have more pics and such as I get things sorted out in the coming days/weeks,Jeff.

IMAG1881.jpg

IMAG1880.jpg

IMAG1879.jpg

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

Nice haul , always go to get a freebie. Looking forward to more pics.

WNYPCRepair

Definitely a nice haul.

roadapples

Agree, nice haul.. how much was the recliner..:ychain:

• Like 2

WHX??

Real nice Jeff....now you can sit in the recliner with a cold one and admire yer horses!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Thanks all...and the recliner was a worn out 1 i was hauling away for my parents (that is my WV home in the pics) and today was "honey do" here so not much done with the new to me :wh: but hopefully in the next couple days/weeks...they need a real good cleaning for starters and some PM ect then diagnos/trouble shoot the Dxi no start issue. More pics and such to come,Jeff.

• Like 2