WVHillbilly520H

N.O.S. 522xi found...

Pierrepont

I know of a fellow in New York or Massachusetts that collected many 5xi machines.  In the past year or two he started selling some of the collection.

I seem to recall he sold a brand new GT550 or 522xi with mower for about $5,800 and a dealer demo 522xi with two stage blower for about $6,000.

Your $5,900 opportunity is in the same ballpark.  I would guess that you'd get the new Toro factory warranty as part of the purchase?

WNYPCRepair

I would have to get the new warranty to pay original MSRP, and even then it would be a hard sell. It may have never been used, but it is still 17 years old. Of course, I don't buy to collect, I buy to use them

WVHillbilly520H

With the 523dxi(engine oil issue) @ $800 I'm wondering if I'm making wise investment,has anyone ever to rebuild/replace this engine and if it's cost effective to do so or should I just walk away from in and get the N.O.S. 522xi?,Jeff.

WNYPCRepair
4 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

With the 523dxi(engine oil issue) @ $800 I'm wondering if I'm making wise investment,has anyone ever to rebuild/replace this engine and if it's cost effective to do so or should I just walk away from in and get the N.O.S. 522xi?,Jeff.

At $800, I would buy it. Even if you part it out, it is worth it. I would buy this before paying full price for the NOS

If you don't want it, and he is willing to ship through Fastenal, I will take it. :)

Edited by WNYPCRepair

WVHillbilly520H

I figured 282 hrs of mowing, everything but the engine would be good to go...I just don't want to throw another $5k in it just to have a running 523dxi...$2500 maybe...I have approx 3 acres to mow and the 520H loves 93 octane...plus I usually sweep after mowing...no bagger...and I know my Kioti is rather fuel efficient and in-laws Kubota ZTR diesel is too...so that's why I was all about the 523dxi ...keep my 520H as the winter machine the other H as I have a tall chute single stage,tiller, and plow...and yes I buy them to use too.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

A couple of points regarding the NOS and 523Dxi. Toro made improvements along the way with the 5xi series, some good and some bad. I am not sure of all the changes but here are some I have found. Tierods were strengthened sometime during/after 1999, wheels went to being painted grey instead of silver, recommended tire pressures were adjusted to reflect the weight of the tractor to 20 psi, and the voltage modulator was changed. It appears that the five-wire modulator has a better track record than the three-wire used later.

The 523Dxi is more likely a '98 as they were not huge sellers. Parts for the engine appear to still be available. It would probably be a better tractor to someone like me who has one already in case it is just for parts. The popular auction site does have complete used engines from time to time which could be dropped in. It becomes a situation of overall cost. A bare 523Dxi would probably bring $3500 as they are a fantastic machine. If you could repair it for $2700 or less, it's a deal.

The NOS appears to have grey wheels or are just dull. It could be a 2000 which would have the three-wire modulator. 

With my three (two 1998 and one 2000) the Titan tires on the '98s have become an issue. I will need to replace all eight this year. But they are 18 years old now! The Kenda's on the 2000 do not exhibit any checking and cracking.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

When I go back I'll get all the serial #s and years, I do know this, the H was traded in on the Dxi and when it "lost" the oil it was brought back to the shop and traded in on a Legacy Dxl,they had the Dxi in the shop but never got it running as it's now sitting outside waiting (on me) to be brought back to life, as for the H he used it to mow his property when I was his neighbor and just looked at the hours Saturday (275) I couldn't believe it ,I have 730+ hrs on mine mowing ,snowplow/blowing,tilling grading driveway ect...so the engine is worth the $1200 to me...I had CUB Cadets (as well as my father) before and IMO the wheel is so much more robust piece of small equipment and by all 5xxxi owners opinions here is a step above the classics (in lew of finding attachments) I have had 18 good yrs of service my H and figure  good 15-20 more with these new acquisitions...

shallowwatersailor
41 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I figured 282 hrs of mowing, everything but the engine would be good to go...I just don't want to throw another $5k in it just to have a running 523dxi...$2500 maybe...I have approx 3 acres to mow and the 520H loves 93 octane...plus I usually sweep after mowing...no bagger...and I know my Kioti is rather fuel efficient and in-laws Kubota ZTR diesel is too...so that's why I was all about the 523dxi ...keep my 520H as the winter machine the other H as I have a tall chute single stage,tiller, and plow...and yes I buy them to use too.

$2500 would rule out a drop-in used engine. You are correct about the fuel efficiency though. It probably compares to using a single cylinder engine in amount used. I only had the opportunity to throw snow last winter as it didn't get used for mowing due to my accident. But this year I look forward to trying out the 60" deck, although I will probably go back to the 48" for everyday use.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I suppose I just get it pull the engine tear it down and go from there...what's the worst that happens the crank and cylinder bores are shot and the and valves are done for? Then wait for a replacement...or its not to bad and rebuild it fresh as new...if can do my SBC this shouldn't be any worse :violence-blades:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Well I decided to do a little research on that Briggs/Dihatsu engine and found the Toro part # 99-1053 and it goes for $4k-$6k most places but I just about fell over seeing this...maybe I should get a bakers dozen...:ROTF:

Screenshot_2016-01-31-14-08-05.png

Screenshot_2016-01-31-14-08-21.png

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Well I decided to do a little research on that Briggs/Dihatsu engine and found the Toro part # 99-1053 and it goes for $4k-$6k most places but I just about fell over seeing this...maybe I should get a bakers dozen...:ROTF:

Screenshot_2016-01-31-14-08-05.png

Screenshot_2016-01-31-14-08-21.png

I ordered one, let's see whayt shows up. :) 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

If you read their terms, they basically say their prices are not final. They better not try to charge me $5K, LOL

WVHillbilly520H

Well I did get my actual Toro W/H 2 stage belts from there @ $16ea+s/h 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
5 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Well I did get my actual Toro W/H 2 stage belts from there @ $16ea+s/h 

I have bought a few things from them. Never had them change the price, or tell me it isn't available. Something tells me I'm not going to get a diesel engine for $5 though. :)

If I do, I'll need to change my shorts though. And then order a bunch more. :)

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Well if you do get it for $5.81+s/h make sure to let me/us know...for $825 I'll have a nearly new 523dxi and I won't have to :deadhorse:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Well if you do get it for $5.81+s/h make sure to let me/us know...for $825 I'll have a nearly new 523dxi and I won't have to :deadhorse:

After I order a few more, I'll be sure to let you know. :)

I'll probably get a decal or domething. 

WVHillbilly520H

Hopefully after I get it home it really isn't as bad as I fear, he said they had just serviced it (oil change I'm guessing)and that it turned over by hand after the oil dump (drain plug came out while mowing)but never said why they didn't get it going... Do these engines have a low/no oil pressure cut-off ? If so and the fact it turns over by hand has me thinking it's really not that bad but if it's locked up then I might've bit off a little more than really wanted to

WNYPCRepair
7 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Hopefully after I get it home it really isn't as bad as I fear, he said they had just serviced it (oil change I'm guessing)and that it turned over by hand after the oil dump (drain plug came out while mowing)but never said why they didn't get it going... Do these engines have a low/no oil pressure cut-off ? If so and the fact it turns over by hand has me thinking it's really not that bad but if it's locked up then I might've bit off a little more than really wanted to

If it turns out to need an engine, and you don't want to spend the $, I'll stop by on my next trip to TN and take it off your hands. :)

WVHillbilly520H

Might just take you up on that...I'm only 5 minutes off the interstate now a days

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
8 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Might just take you up on that...I'm only 5 minutes off the interstate now a days

It's worth the $800 to me even just for parts. Although I go down 79 these days. Went through Staunton a lot when I lived in Phila though.

WNYPCRepair

56aecf047a3d6_ScreenShot2016-01-31at10.1

Probably never see this again. :)

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Honestly I hope you do get it, I'll give you triple that for it, then you can buy 3 more, I know I have that 1 and the H definitely coming home with me very soon...then the 522xi if can swing it,Jeff.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Did he mention what he wanted for the dozer blades?

Too bad he doesn't have a FEL   :)

WVHillbilly520H

No just that he had 2 N.I.B. but couldn't find the rear axle hitches...I don't even know what size deck is on the 523Dxi (buried in the snow),had the wife with me waiting in the Trailblazer plus I had to check on mom and dad, I'll find out shortly,Jeff.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

My blade I bought for the xi was bent, so  swapped the blade from my 520. Perfect fit by the way, if the price were right it is probably easier than bending the old one straight again. 

Edited by WNYPCRepair