scotty

Solenoid

scotty

I have a wheel horse GT1100. What kind of solenoid do i need it says 110979. Does anyone know if i can order one on amazon prime. One of the universal ones? Like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Rotary-10771-Universal-solenoid-starter/dp/B002VCLF2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453845469&sr=8-2&keywords=universal+lawn+mower+solenoid

pfrederi

Should work. Just make sure the mounting bracket is well grounded.

• Like 2

scotty

Sounds good i figured it would work just wanted to see what anyone else thought.

scotty

Also another question what is the wire coming off from the coil do? It goes to the carburater

953 nut
2 hours ago, scotty said:

Also another question what is the wire coming off from the coil do? It goes to the carburater

I don't have a GT1100, but I doubt that a wire from the coil goes to the carburetor. :confusion-confused: On late model power equipment there is a fuel shut off solenoid which opens the fuel flow when power is applied to the ignition, but that didn't start until the early '90s. The wire probably goes to the ignition points.        :wwp:

• Like 1

953 nut

Here is the only manual I can find, not much of a wiring diagram though.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Better diagram in the operator manual

Just remember the ignition on this model is self powered. The ignition wire simply grounds the coil to shut the engine off. Do not allow any battery voltage into the ignition wire as that will burn up the ignition coil. In other words positively identify that wire before you do anything with it. You don't want to see any of the magic smoke.

If the ignition key will shut the engine off the loose wire should not be the ignition wire.

Garry

• Like 2

scotty

Ill grab some pictures in a little bit today im not seeing anything in those diagrams that looks like what i have. Pictures explain better than i can haha.

gwest_ca

The original engine was a B&S 252417-0664-01. Compare that with what you have. Perhaps the engine has been replaced.

Garry

oldredrider

The wire is in fact, a ground/kill wire. It attaches to the carb linkage. When the engine is throttled down completely,  this wire is grounded by the linkage. As Garry said, if the ignition switch accomplishes shut off, the wire is not needed.

• Like 3

scotty

Oh alright i see. So i dont even need it hooked up? Or is there a way of bypassing it?