Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Wheel Horse Museum

Teddy da Bear

I was sitting at the computer.....actaully logged off of Red Square...

Then I got an idea. Maybe others have thought of it before me.

Could you imagine a Wheel Horse Museum?? Right down in South Bend

Indiana.....where it belongs? I got a chill........

How could it be done?

South Bend is always looking for attractions.....bring people into the city.

Redevelopement ideas.

And just think....people could donate tractors like Studebaker did for their

museum. Think of the throngs of people that would come! Kids on

field trips! A meeting hall for get-togethers?

Could it be? :hide:

BPjunk

Mike,

There is a few folks who are trying to establish such a place. Unfortunately one of the folks lives in a different country, OK it is really just above our northern border in Quebec, Canada. He has over 200 Wheel Horses, I have seen him buy as many as 17 Wheel Horses at one auction (Eagle, Pa. Frames auction). :D

Oh ... Uh as for the Wheel Horse you saw in the Studebaker Museum .... there's about 4 more in a back room. :hide:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

illinilefttackle

:hide: Mike,BP-I think it's a super idea! Now who's got the connections (money,etc) to make it happen. What about the Pond family, or others that benefited from the Wheel Horse Factory sales? Heck-all of us WH nuts could donate a little something to help it along! What say you? Shoot, Ill run the thing for you,marketing,etc.-AL

Teddy da Bear

Al..... I don't know if your serious or are you pulling my horses leg?

pond195520032003

now thats funny right there :hide: :D

illinilefttackle

:D Mike-I'll let go of your horses leg now-no really, I'd be honored to be a part this project-BUT- have you any idea what all is involved? Building,permits,insurance,LAWYER,in short a business plan for at least a years operation. Showing profitability, liability,etc. AND-in this deflated economic enviornment, it would be hard to make a go of it. But ,we can dream right?-AL :hide:

Teddy da Bear

Actually.... If done right... Most of it has been done for us.

It could actually be a part of the existing Studebaker Museum.

Only thing is I have been hearing some bad things about the museum lately.

Unscrupulous people there replacing original parts on cars with aftermarket

parts is the latest news I hear from a few fellas with cars there. They

replaced the volenteers who actually owned and operated the cars and

worked in the factory with kids that don't know "diddly" about the cars

the museum is suppose to represent.

But I am sure a small place could be secured there if done right.

And perhaps additional space if it were to catch on. And then who knows?

A place of it's own in the future.

As far as profit.... I already helped establish a non-profit organization.

That is what my thoughts were.

fritz

where do we start?????

Lane Ranger

The Indiana State Museum has this Wheel Horse tractor displayed:

http://www.in.gov/ism/Exhibits_Collections...ait_whlhrs.aspx

Wheel-Horse Ride-Away Jr. Yard and Garden Tractor

South Bend, Indiana, 1958

Elmer Pond started assembling small garden tractors based on used automobile parts in his backyard garage in South Bend, Indiana, following World War II. Elmer

• Like 1

Teddy da Bear

I will ask the guys I know for some suggestions on who to approach,

One guy is the head honcho of the Studebaker club. You would not believe the beautiful Studebaker he drives around on a regular basis...

Tough finding him though...

Would also be tough getting museum quality wheel horses....lol

I know there are none in my collection.

illinilefttackle

:hide: Yo Mike-When ya find him, ask him if he remembers seeing a Big ol guy Building the engine-transmission assemblies for Avanti Motor Co. in South Bend. The Studebaker Club toured our plant nearly each summer just before their annual car show. Aw, those were the good ole days!-AL

Docwheelhorse

That would be a fantastic idea, I would definietly vist and definietly donate some $$$. Imagine a scale version of the original factory with Wheel Horse Products Museum in the original 60's red script! :hide:

Tony

wh500special

The Indiana State Museum has this Wheel Horse tractor displayed:

http://www.in.gov/ism/Exhibits_Collections...ait_whlhrs.aspx

FWIW, I think that Tim LaPree provided and restored that tractor for the museum. Nice guy and quite a talented machinist too.

Steve

wh500special

Oh ... Uh as for the Wheel Horse you saw in the Studebaker Museum .... there's about 4 more in a back room. :hide:

I think most all of the tractors that used to be at the Studebaker National Musuem (Studebaker museum link) in South Bend have since migrated to Bloomington, MN to the Toro headquarters. Seems like I remember Ed telling me that they redirected a couple empty semis through SB a few years ago after dropping equipment off at the Indy track prior to one of the races.

There were a few pieces that Toro didn't own (I recall a 420LSE owned by the city of SB in particular) but most of the stuff is gone.

After learning that the small museum collection that had been accumulated on Ireland Rd had been moved to the Studebaker Museum when Toro pulled up roots in 1990-ish, I made arrangements to see all the stuff up in the attic of the museum in fall 2000 (ended up moving to SB shortly thereafter and revisited the museum a few times). Quite a nice amount of stuff from the factory - like the sign from the front of the building - but mostly just an odd collection of a few tractors, a snowblower, and a walkbehind. I also remember seeing a few cutaway demonstrator Unidrive displays and even a Gibson lever steer tractor that had been misidentified as an early Pond and painted red.

The musuem curator told me that they rotated a few of these items on and off the floor and typically displayed them in their "made in South Bend" exhibits that also included stuff from South Bend Lathe, Oliver Farm Equipment, South Bend Fishing Tackle, and AM general. It sounded like there really wasn't much interest among the people who attended the museum to look at Studebaker paraphrenalia in little red tractors.

I'd love to see you guys be able to launch a museum and am willing to help as needed, but I wonder how difficult funding such a venture (no matter how small) would be. Even mainstream museums are forever hurting for resources so little niche markets like garden tractors could a tough thing to generate much foot traffic in.

For big tractors I have heard of a few guys who set aside some areas of their barns/buildings for museums and do have regular visitors. They typically display their own stuff and that of area cohorts. perhaps something along those lines might be viable? And, piggybacking on the Studebaker musuem seems plausible too.

Best of luck, and if I can help please ask.

Steve

MaineDad

where do we start?????

By every member bringing one tractor to my house :hide:

Rollerman

Micah I think you've had to much Morgan. :hide:

But that a good idea & I'm very centrally located. :D

MaineDad

:hide:

oldandred

I will be right up with one tractor now what color do you want ?? :hide: :D