RedRanger

Help Identify my Grandpa's Wheel Horse

RedRanger

My grandpa always had an Economy tractor as far back as I can remember.  I've spent hundreds of hours mowing, riding, pulling, and working with that tractor.  A couple engines and mower decks later and we still own it and my mom still has it. It gets regular use hauling brush and doing back up mowing for them.  Cleaning out a closet today, I found an old photo album and in it where these pictures.  Can you help me identify- narrow down- what model and year his Wheel Horse tractor was?  It was long gone before my memory could grasp it.  When I started bringing Wheel Horses home last year for some reason, my mom told me, "Your Grandpa always had Wheel horses."  I've always like this style of Wheel Horse, but never could grasp why.

Looks like it had the newer style Kohler and electric clutch? 10 or 12 hp I'd guess?  Brown/woodgrain decals.  Wider rear turf tires.  Possibly a hydro???

Pictures would have been winter of 1973-1974 I believe.  That's me on my orange sled.  Spent hours riding that too!

5688898434f10_GrandpasWH.thumb.jpg.6d199

Here's a shot of Grandpa and me with his new Economy in the fall ot '74.  He was always proud of his tractors.

56888b41bbf82_GrandpasEconomy.thumb.jpg.

• Like 7

Sparky

The electric starter looks like a Kohler to me, and the flywheel screen is bigger than the 8hp ones so its a Kohler 10 - 16 hp machine. The decal on the hood looks like a Charger/Electro type of decal but the pic is so small I cant be sure.

Its a hydro with manual lift also.

That's all I can find for clues...time for the experts to chime in.

I love a good mystery!!

Mike..........

• Like 3

RedRanger

I'm leaning toward a 1968 or 1969 Charger 12 based on the Kohler, hood decal, and hydro.

1970 Charger used a different hood decal.

Late 68 or 1969 based on the bendix starter.

Has to be a 12HP as the 10 was a Techy and Grandpa wouldn't have owned a Techumseh.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

ericj

the 69 models had the wood grain decals so a charger 12 a lot of the charger 10's had techy's 

eric j

• Like 1

RedRanger
4 minutes ago, ericj said:

the 69 models had the wood grain decals so a charger 12 a lot of the charger 10's had techy's 

eric j

Did the 68 and 69 use the same decals?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I cant help on the ID of what model. but I wanted to tell you how much  I enjoyed the pictures. thanks.........

Glenn

• Like 5

RedRanger
4 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I cant help on the ID of what model. but I wanted to tell you how much  I enjoyed the pictures. thanks.........

Glenn

Thanks Glenn.   Many good memories spent with my Grandfather.  He was a great man.  Based on the way I was Eyeballing his Wheel Horse in that first picture, looks like I liked Wheel Horses from a very young age.  

• Like 5

slammer302

I'm leaning towards a charger 12 or 10 I noticed it still had manual lift and I know a lot of the charger hydro's still had manual lift

• Like 1

RedRanger

I blew the photo up a bit more.

I'm leaning toward a 12HP as the manuals here list the Charger 10's having Tech engines and the Charger 12's being Kohler.

Looks Kohler to me and he didn't like Tech engines.

5688a9cf05b03_Grandpalarger.thumb.jpg.d5

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 6

JC 1965

You must have some great memories of your Grandpa. Great photos, thanks for sharing.      :thumbs2:

• Like 4

buffaloman

I noticed the young man in the picture is more interested in looking at the wheel horse! lol 

• Like 2

squonk

I can't see enough of the Horse but the Economy looks like a 1614!   74and later.:)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Ditto...either '68 Charger 12...    :text-coolphotos:

or '69 Electro 12...looks to be a hydro rear. 

• Like 1

RedRanger
9 hours ago, buffaloman said:

I noticed the young man in the picture is more interested in looking at the wheel horse! lol 

Agreed!  Which would you rather ride????

9 hours ago, squonk said:

I can't see enough of the Horse but the Economy looks like a 1614!   74and later.:)

Correct.  Purchased new in 1974.

• Like 1

TDF5G
On 1/3/2016 at 10:08 PM, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Glenn

Ditto for me.  I love to see the old pics from back in the day!

• Like 2

TDF5G

That's a great pic!:text-coolphotos:  Looks like your grandson has a great herd to choose from!  I like the '73 12 HP, I put a lot of miles on my Dad's when I was a kid.

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

Docwheelhorse

"the 10 was a Techy and Grandpa wouldn't have owned a Techumseh"

GOOD MAN!!!!                              :ychain: to at those Techy people I may of offended including the Techy Grand Poohbah (Bill Pearson)

Tony

• Like 2