Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

RJ 58-59

Kelly

I have a chance to pick up a rj 58 or 59 I don't know how to tell them apart, that is in very good original condition, paint faded no dents in hood no cracks has been trimed to clear a briggs motor but very minor about 1/4x 4" long, Very nice steering wheel, has fenders, rear tires ag's look new, front are I think orig. and are fair to good, has belt guard, has a 3hp briggs on it, gas tank is missing, comes with a front mounted reel mower looks to be all there but is rusty, but looks savable. He's firm at $350 It may come with a parts tractor that is just frame, steering trans and is Very ruff. Is this a good deal? I'm more into the 60's short frame tractors so I know little about these. Just looking for your input on this. Thanks Kelly in MI.

CasualObserver

Seems like a good price to me since it includes the front reel mower. But that attachment can go anywhere in price. One sold on ebay last summer for well over $300 by itself, and one didn't sell at all just before Christmas a few weeks ago for the opening $100 bid. (got no bids?) I have one, and to me, it's my second most valuable attachment right behind my four-wheeled wagon.

Edit:

Oh, and I don't know if or how you can tell the difference between a 58 and a 59? I can't.

Buzz

I'd say it's worth $350 with the reel mower. Look at ebay, any RJ is going for top dollar right now even without original engines. Not sure how to tell them apart either. It might be a job for Bill.............Hey Bill, we got a question for you......

Curmudgeon

The only difference I know of between the two is the sticker that lists the model. Missing from practically all of them. That's why you see a gadzillion RJ-58's and few RJ-59's. We want the older one, so we call it the older one even though they are identical.

BPjunk

The only way to tell a 1958 RJ-58 from a 1959 RJ-59 is by the serial number.

In 1958 Wheel Horse produced 20,000 RJ-58 models and in 1959 only 2,500 RJ-59 models were made. So if you find a RJ model with a serial number 20,000 or lower the tractor is a 1958 and if the serial number 20.001 or higher the tractor is a 1959. :P The RJ-58 I have is serial number 18,326 and it has a Clinton 3.6hp engine.

Sorry, I cound not find a picture of my RJ-58 but here is a fun picture of my 1960 Suburban 400 in a tractor pull from years ago! :( Who say's I baby my Wheel Horses? :D

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1200174947.jpg

Curmudgeon

Bill, I've never seen you baby ANYTHING!!!! So it wasn't me who said that!

T-Mo

Kelly,

I don't have anything constructive to add (though that usually doesn't stop me). But, a local dealer has a RJ-58 in his showroom and I would love to have it. It's sure a neat, cute, little thing. If you get it, please post some pictures.