82Caddy

How messed up is my K181?

82Caddy

Was tinkering with the k341 today...I ended up having to move it in my shop so I could get something else out the door and decided to see if it would start and it did.  I was watching the fuel filter (one of those clear ones) go empty and not fill back up.  I'm thinking there is some crap in the tank so I pulled the one off the tractor with the k181 (since it's down until parts arrive) to see if that solved the problem.  Wouldn't you know it, fuel filter filled up with fuel, fired up the tractor and it never ran out of gas at the filter again.  

I ended up pulling the tank off and swapping it with the one I have on a D series parts tractor.  I'll get the one with stuff in in cleaned and put back on eventually.  I reinstalled the belt for the snow blower and went to work moving some snow.  Worked great.  Guess that's what happens when it doesn't run out of fuel.  Boy do I feel like a fool now.

• Like 3

Shynon
6 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

Boy do I feel like a fool now

You are not the first one that had this happen and I don't think you will be the last. Great to hear you got it going. :) If you don't find crud in the tank you may have a gas cap with the vent plugged.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Always good news when they are running again. 

Thanks for the update.

Edited by ekennell

82Caddy

So got the new valve keepers installed tonight.  Valve compressor tool made it super slick.  Checked valve clearances, was good to go so flipped the key and it fired up.  Sounded good so I'm going to close the chapter on this K181 issue.

• Like 6

Ed Kennell

Great....sounds like you have a couple of healthy  horses again.

Jrblanke

Thanks for the update! Glad you got this resolved. 

wrightorchid

Check your fuel lines, too.  if it has had ethanol, or the lines are old, they can get gummy.  I had a strange orange goo (algae maybe?) in the tank that I found after I had replaced the filter twice, and then fuel lines.

82Caddy

Fuel lines and filters were replaced on both tractors.  Figured since I already had fuel on my hands from the one tractor might as well do the other one too.

• Like 2

82Caddy

Guess the fix wasn't that simple. Was pushing some heavy wet snow last night. Heard a ticking noise from the engine and went to put the tractor away. Shut down about 30 feet from the shop with a nice flame out the exhaust. Looks like I'm pulling the head to see if there is something wrong with the valves/keepers/valve springs. 

rick

Ugh!

953 nut

:text-imsorry:

• Like 1

WHX??

Hate to say told ya so but I would pulled the head to begin with....these darned tractors!!!!:wacko:

• Like 1

82Caddy

In all reality, it's just part of owning older equipment. I'm not upset and I knew that I was taking a gamble with just replacing the valve keepers. Does it suck it failed again? You bet it does. 

Stuff breaks so you fix it. Worst case, it gets new valves, keepers, retainers and a few gaskets. Looking at the big picture, I have far less invested in this tractor and have improved my mechanical skills then I would if I had bought a brand new tractor with mower, blade or blower.

Plus it's always fun when your little 8hp Kohler from the 70s can pull the neighbors new tractor down the road in a friendly contest of whose tractor can pull whose. 

• Like 7

Ed Kennell

I hear that Caddy.

• Like 1

WHX??

2nd that caddy.....sure hoped you  had it fixed ez...

• Like 1

82Caddy

Looks like the reason the valve keepers failed is the retainer is broken.

23670101373_eac6beb3fe_b.jpg

23929086249_442fd09b83_b.jpg

Valve looks good though.

24296929995_837e60c5fd_b.jpg

Looks like two more valve keepers, a retainer, head gasket, intake, breather and fuel pump gaskets.  Here's to hoping this is the last time I have this engine apart.

• Like 3

rjg854

Hoping the best to you :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ed Kennell

Great...another mystery solved.   I've never seen this failure.   Just for reference, did you experience any problems before the original failure?  Looking at the original keepers, they are really worn smooth like the valve stem was sliding through them for some time and probably not closing that valve properly.

Did you check the other valve keeper and retainer?    Any burning on the seal area on the block or valve head?     How much carbon was in the chamber?

• Like 2

Jrblanke

At least your working on it now instead of pushing it into the shed and waiting 6 months to work on it like I do.

• Like 2

82Caddy

Before the original failure, there were no indications of problems.  Engine ran strong and there weren't any funny noises or smoking.

I did pull the exhaust side apart as well.  I wanted to be sure there weren't any issues there that were being masked by the intake valve.  Nothing fun to see there.  Valve seats all look good, and the exhaust retainer/keepers looked like the new ones I put in a week or so ago.

2 minutes ago, Jrblanke said:

At least your working on it now instead of pushing it into the shed and waiting 6 months to work on it like I do.

I don't have much of an excuse not to work on it...I'm lucky enough that my wife picked a house that has a heated garage and separate heated shop space so even when it in the negative numbers like it is today it's not bad to be out there working on things.  Shop stays about 40 most of the time even when the heat isn't on and when it isn't warm enough just turn the heat up.

• Like 4

WNYPCRepair
42 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

the exhaust retainer/keepers looked like the new ones I put in a week or so ago.

I think I would still replace them while it is apart. If your luck is like mine, they would go as soon as I got it all back together

• Like 1

82Caddy

Reassembled again...hopefully for the last time.

Lapped both valves, new retainers and valve keepers.  Also replaced most of the gaskets on the top side of the engine (fuel pump, breather cover, carb, head) since they all were off and are all older.  Sealed it back up and fired it off.  Need to redo the governor settings since it seems to wind out a little too high before the governor kicks in. 

Redid a bunch of wiring as well.  Some of it was getting worn and starting to not look very good.  Plus it was easy to do.

Took it up and down the driveway enough to get it scrapped down to the concrete again.  Seemed to be running well.  Time will tell if it's fixed or there is some other problem with it.

• Like 1

82Caddy

Pushed snow (1-2in) with this thing yesterday.  Did well.  Adjusted the governor too far the other way.  Doesn't rev up much at all, seems like about 2/3 throttle.  Have to readjust it again another time.

tcw5speed

Hears the thing if you don't know what your doing it's best to have a small engine mechanic take a look at it before you spend / wast money on something you don't need .

The Chinese carbs are junk !

The original carburetor is so simple to repair a 12 year old could do it .

Also good luck getting the valve keepers back in place with the head not being removed. 

You will pull your hair out trying to keep the valve down while pushing up on the valve spring to get the keeper in place. 

tcw5speed
On 1/21/2016 at 3:30 PM, 82Caddy said:

Pushed snow (1-2in) with this thing yesterday.  Did well.  Adjusted the governor too far the other way.  Doesn't rev up much at all, seems like about 2/3 throttle.  Have to readjust it again another time.

To adjust the governor push the throttle to full position,  loosen the 1/4 bolt on the governor arm and rotate the governor shaft counterclockwise and hold in place while you tighten the 1/4 bolt and nut .

Pull the throttle back to idle position and the carburetor shaft linkages should be against the idle adjustment screw .