peigt14

suburban tranmission flush

Racinbob

No, they don't install like the axle seals but you don't need a special tool to replace them. Use a small screwdriver or pick to carefully pry them out. Make sure the shaft is burr free so you don't damage the new seal.

Gently drive the new seal in place. I've used a chunk of PVC pipe to drive it squarely. You can use a appropriately sized deep socket and a flat washer or just use the drum or pulley.:)

• Like 2

WHX??

No these seals are not like the axle seals at all. You should be able to get both the input and brake seal out with just a stout pick and small screwdrivers. You will wreck the seals getting them out so make sure you have the replacements on hand. I would maybe try and flush the tranny  with  the seals out and before installing the new ones to try and get any gunk out of the bearings if it is you intention to not split the cases. Should be able to tap the new ones in with a small hammer,wood block and appropriate sized socket.

Most of us here would split the cases to inspect the gears and check the bearings at long as it's this far torn down. With forty + years on this girl who knows what could be going on in there.

Looks like you have a nice little 401 there:thumbs2:

Edited by WHX6
  • Like 2

can whlvr

I agree,tear her down,then u know you have everything inside the way it should be and you can clean it properly,flushing only does so much,it cant get everything

• Like 1