Al C.

1969 GT-14 $1,495 New

Pullstart

And $524 for a lawn ranger!  Of course the free mower with that deal too.

• Like 3

KC9KAS

That just made my '69 GT-14 worth more!

• Like 2

Sparky

That's a very impressive list of dealers....sure wish it was still that way now.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike.........

• Like 5

Wishin4a416

Hey my Dealer is on the list. Washington pa. I still get parts from Ole John.

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 4

Tankman

Looks like Western PA had more than enough dealers!

No wonder we have so many Stallions in PA.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 4

Brian01

And I'm only asking $300 for my 66 lawn ranger?

• Like 2

oldredrider

We all know Wheel Horses are well built and made to last. At the risk of driving prices up, I suggest when selling a good condition Wheel Horse, put a price of half the original new price. That would still be a good deal IMHO. Compared to what is being sold nowadays, nothing compares to the quality and longevity of a Horse.

I have gotten my herd down to 3 and, if I were to sell one of them, (not likely!) I would want good money just because of the quality of design manufactured into them to last indefinitely.

The "newest" Horse I own is a 1979 and personally, there is NOTHING better out there than a good Wheel Horse. 

• Like 6

Al C.

Agree.  I paid $1,500 for this 1982 SK-486.  I just laugh when I walk through Home Depot and Lowes ...   A 30 year old Wheel Horse is worth three times what is being sold in these stores and can be had for half the price. 

IMG_1236.PNG

• Like 8

ztnoo
On 12/14/2015 at 6:50 AM, Al C. said:

March 1969 Wheel Horse advertisement.  GT-14 $1,495 with free mower deck.  That's about $8,900 in today's dollars.  These were premium machines in their day.

That is absolutely stunning! I've had my '69 , 1-7441 since about '81, but I never knew what they sold for new. Fascinating.

It also explains why it still runs and is used 47 years later.

Speaks volumes of the build quality.

• Like 1

Flatheadpete

I still have the original purchase receipt from when Grandpa bought my 856 new.  I'll dig it out and post it up.  It was a lot back then......But then again, it still works!

• Like 2

RedRider

I had previously posted this ad under the vintage dealers thread. I found it while researching my grandparent's store, which is also listed on this ad. If I was to speculate, I think that this ad was probably paid for by a distributor in Western, PA. I know my grandparents originally got tractors from the infamous Burton Supply Co in Youngstown, OH (before their lawsuit with Wheel Horse), then later they got from a distributor in in Leetsdale, PA (near Pittsburgh) though I am unsure of the name. My guess is that this was sponsored by the Leetsdale distributor.

• Like 1

ztnoo

" It was a lot back then......But then again, it still works!"

Most definitely!!! To equate with another mechanical device I lusted over at the time because of my age.....a cutting edge, world class motorcycle like the world had never seen before.....the Honda CB 750, could be had for roughly the same money. I eventually got one in '71 for about $1700. Price had gone up because the demand was sky high. $1500 for a lawn tractor in 1969 was a very serious purchase and commitment. Those that still have a running and functioning GT 14, are still reaping the benefits of the original purchaser's investment.

Edited by ztnoo

Aldon

all I know is that my middle income family could not swing the purchase. I always coveted one back then. Probably why I am so hooked on them now.

• Like 1

ztnoo

I took some liberty and edited Al C.'s image to emphasize the GT 14 portion of the ad. Hope no one minds.....I just wanted to make it easier to see and to emphasize the pricing.

I keep thinking about the value of $8,900 in today's dollars.......umm.gif

56b8c5f4cba0a_GT14pricead(3).thumb.jpg.f

• Like 1