Terry M

Question for the K90 experts

Terry M

Doing a disassemble on an old Kohler k90 engine today and found that it has a very unusual magneto set-up .  Is this typical magneto set-up of a pull start k-90 engine?  

No magnets on the flywheel...instead , theres a "donut" looking magnet around the crank.    And, any idea if a replacement for the coil can be found?   Just curious and not too worried....Its just an old parts engine I'm using for a project:)

Sorry, I'm more of a tecumseh guy and Kohlers are somewhat new to me...

Thanks in advance for any info received .

TerryIMG_2718.JPG.781656ee45f00730beb2f551ebaIMG_2719.JPG.307f5a8dafc754fd2e86deadb13IMG_2720.JPG.6c6e4fedc8141c528ade344794bIMG_2721.JPG.5736840f8231a15a6c293e17b65IMG_2722.thumb.jpg.08f70f7c5857dc38669d7

• Like 1

wallfish

That there is a Bendix coil and about impossible to find a replacement. Even if you can find a NOS coil, it will probably be cracked and useless because of the epoxy they used to build them. One option if you want to keep everything original on that engine is to have it rewound. The other option available is to change the plate, coil and flywheel. I went with option B after searching and searching and searching for a replacement.

• Like 1

Terry M
32 minutes ago, wallfish said:

That there is a Bendix coil and about impossible to find a replacement. Even if you can find a NOS coil, it will probably be cracked and useless because of the epoxy they used to build them. One option if you want to keep everything original on that engine is to have it rewound. The other option available is to change the plate, coil and flywheel. I went with option B after searching and searching and searching for a replacement.

Could I also ask , is the crankshaft specific to the bendix magneto set-up?,  Or ,will the crankshaft work also on newer style k91 magnetos and engines?

Shynon

Terry had the same thing on by k161 on my 704, found a new coil on :techie-ebay:

• Like 1

wallfish
20 hours ago, buckrancher said:

coil is readily available Bendia Scintilla Magneto Coil OE 399-125 #BE20 on amazon

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/42741-kohler-k160-230075-coil-replacement/

Brian

WISH I FOUND THAT A FEW YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I searched around for 6 months before finally giving up and changing all that stuff. Even searched the outboard sites too! BUT, I think I still have all those old parts so maybe I can get that donor engine back together with a new one of those.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

buckrancher

may have spoke to soon John the K90 coil may be smaller than the #be20 coil I will have to check it out

Brian

wallfish

Hmmmmm, think I remember finding a larger one. Maybe about 1/2 inch too long.

On 12/14/2015 at 7:02 PM, Terry M said:

Could I also ask , is the crankshaft specific to the bendix magneto set-up?,  Or ,will the crankshaft work also on newer style k91 magnetos and engines?

Don't think I changed the crank so I believe your crank is good

Terry M
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

Hmmmmm, think I remember finding a larger one. Maybe about 1/2 inch too long.

Don't think I changed the crank so I believe your crank is good

Thank you John!:)

On December 14, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Terry M said:

One option if you want to keep everything original on that engine is to have it rewound.

This may be something I might try....I know somebody with the know how to do it yourself......it's worth a try :eusa-think:.

jb4249

Terry, That is completely different than my K90 I am trying to make run for an RJ58. I am getting a weak spark from it. I have 2 K91 and was able to put the magneto  stator assembly from one of them in the K90, but then it had no spark. I am trying to find a plug wire for the K90, so now I'll keep looking for that.

Ted

K90b.png

K90a.png

Brian01

Tearing into it I see Terry...good luck...that coil was giving intermediate fire....sometimes it'd fire real good and other times, real weak...I'm assuming because it's cracked and older than dirt. lol

Also, yes I member seeing them on EBay...like $40ish, if I member correctly.

VinsRJ

I personally would swap the parts as John indicated and run a more traditional ignition system... I have used the Taiwan coils off ebay without issue... although you will need to modify it to fit.

Here is my review of the replacement coil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pylbLgR3Jvs

• Like 3

Terry M

Good info on your video Vin, Thanks:)