BigR

Snow Blower/Cab Customizing

BigR

I have a snow cab for my 520H and have been thinking of customizing some of the snowblower controls.

What I'm thinking of is installing an electric actuating cylinder on the snowblower chute to adjust the discharge height.  I'm also considering adding an electric motor to rotate the chute as well.  Just curious if anyone else has done this and if so, do you have any pointers.

One more question, I've always pulled power for the lights on my snow cab from the positive post on the coil.  I've never had a problem (that I know of) by doing it this way, but is there a better option.  I just like that when the ignition is off, the power to the coil is as well.  Plus I never had to cut wires and splice into another circuit.  Just loosen the coil nut, add cab light feed wire, and re-tighten.  Let me know your thoughts on this too.

Thanks in advance!!

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: BigR.           Many 520s have been dedicated to snow blowing.    Just do a search of cab alterations or snow blower alterations and you will find many threads on this subject.   Better yet, just search for Dukes Snow Chucker to see the ultimate cab and snow blower.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

DougC

Welcome BigR. I agree the snow chucker is one awesome modified :wh:. Duke really done it good. If I could just make a suggestion as far as adding lights. horns w/s wipers, radios ext. Add a fused dedicated circuit from the power source, preferably the battery pos. terminal for the cab stuff and use LED lights if possible. Your charging system will thank you.    Have fun!     :)

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

Edited by ekennell

doc724

Shallowwatersailor (John Matthews) installed an electric actuator on the deflector last year.  You should be able to find it with a search.  I asked in a post about rotators, several suggestions were made but I never followed through on them.

BigR

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I've learned so much in the last several weeks searching around this site.  I wish I would have found it years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. 

That Snow Chucker is awesome, very impressive Duke!!!  I'm thinking this year I'll just get the electric actuator on the deflector, since that was my main frustration in the past.  I'll save the chute rotator for a summer project, when I have more time...ya right!

DougC, thanks for the idea on cab power source.  I did switch to LED's on the cab last year, including a small LED strobe.  I never thought about the dedicated fuse, but I'll rework some things and add that this year.  It makes sense to come off the + battery post for the charging advantages...but I'm concerned I will have hot power at my cab switches all the time which may run my battery down between snow storms.  Am I off based on that concern???

Ed Kennell

Only if you forget to turn off the lights.:o

shallowwatersailor

I started on another option today for the 523Dxi. It's getting LED  "puddle lights" under the foot boards and will be tied to the headlight circuit. It will be similar to panel lights on apparatus when I was on the FD. That way my "dainty feet" won't get wet. :ROTF:  By the way, the Daihatsu diesel in the 523Dxi has a 40 amp alternator.

The chute rotator is in process for this year. It's hard to get motivated with the warm weather! But the stainless wrap and rubber paddle are left for next year.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

cheesegrader

I have my snow cab and snow thrower wiring off the battery, run through a "master" lighted switch, and into a fuse block with individual switches to the lights, wiper, fan, chute deflector....  The light on the master has done a good job of reminding me to turn everything off when I exit.

The linear actuator that I use for the chute deflector is a 4" throw, about 6 seconds to run the full cycle, and was about $50 delivered from Ebay.

It only took a single drill hole into the chute to mount, with the distal end clamped to the deflector handle.  I mounter it outside the handle.  Mounted inside, it would bind against the chute when fully deployed with the deflector flexed down.  You could mount with the handle removed, but using the handle helped with clearance, and adds leverage (probably not necessary)

• Like 2