ferguson65

My 522xi functional redo

ferguson65

I know we had talked weights of the blower and weight box earlier.  Just stumbled back onto the new haven power equipment website and it lists the weight box as 65 pounds with a 400 capacity.  The listed weight for the blower is 360 pounds!

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Not that the tierods are a weak point, but Toro did beef up the later tierods. I think that it was the rod portion though.

Xearl

Great job and great pictures .  I saved this post to my docs  for inspiration .

ferguson65

Thursday my big order of parts showed up!  Toro blower belt, 2 new idler pulleys, 2 RH tie rod ends, 1 LH tie rod end, and axle seals.  Installed the blower idler pulleys, correct blower belt, and new RH tie rod end today.  All went well and it's ready for the next storm, but of course it's almost 55 here today, made for a great work day though.  Axle seals, other RH tie rod end and LH tie rod end went into my spare parts box, along with the belt I picked up locally.  That belt appears about 1" (ish) short.  I think I will take the Toro belt off and try to match it up once the blower comes off.  If nothing else I at least have a backup belt now that's close enough to work in a pinch.

tracpartspile_zpsedke6qol.jpg

Edited by ferguson65
  • Like 2

Xearl

Way to go , it looks like you are ready now  I just finished doing the idlers yesterday along with a new chain  ( Tractor Supply )  . Greased everything up and finally buttoned it up .  I did the seals this past summer on my 518xi . Went for a walk today and there were people in shorts even a few motorcycles .  

ferguson65
33 minutes ago, Xearl said:

Way to go , it looks like you are ready now  I just finished doing the idlers yesterday along with a new chain  ( Tractor Supply )  . Greased everything up and finally buttoned it up .  I did the seals this past summer on my 518xi . Went for a walk today and there were people in shorts even a few motorcycles .  

I was working on my truck in the driveway in a t shirt.  Crazy for January.  The axle seals are for when I get to repairing (welding) the shafts.  I've got new keys, setscrews and seals waiting and ready to go.  One of the transaxle mount bolts is broke, so I will probably pull the whole thing and do the repairs on a bench.  Just can't down my snowblower to do it in winter, and still need to source a hub.  Hoping to find a good used one rather than buy new.

Edited by ferguson65
  • Like 1

Xearl

Just to let you know how I fixed my  enlarged keyway on my 518XI.  I bought a piece of brass ( I believe it was 1/4" w x 1" h) stock and cut it to length .  I clamped it in place and my friend Tig welded next to it with  the axle in the tractor . I bought a new hub  because the old one was egg shaped .  

axle weld.jpg

• Like 1

ferguson65

That's exactly what I plan to do Earl.  Your post gave me hope for a fix without replacing the axles when I found a few months back!

ferguson65

Not much going on with my 522xi, too wet out to even get it out of the shed without trashing the yard, but today did mark the end of an era.  My dad has been debating replacing his 95 520H that gave me interest in the horses for a while now.  He wanted 4x4, power steering, and a power angle plow.  I got to go along to look over the new prospects and help in negotiations, so today he ordered a new John Deere X758.  The horse will be moving a mile up the road to my brother's place, Dad offered it to him at trade price.  Still lots of life left in it.  The X758 is quite the machine, I'll get to go pick it up in 2 weeks or so.