ferguson65

My 522xi functional redo

ferguson65

Finally got back to this again......................been juggling 2 projects and one is wife mandated, I'm sure you know that's NOT the tractor!  Pulled all the tins off and really found more crud than grass build up.  The valley of the engine was just filthy.  Here are some pics of what I found.

traceng7_zps8ggnxxwh.jpg

traceng6_zpskybcgh28.jpg

traceng4_zpsnr3fkr6s.jpg

traceng3_zpsb5xqjfjt.jpg

traceng2_zps6ezhzzpb.jpg

Cleaned up:

traceng8_zps6rvdt9qw.jpg

traceng9_zpsdpx7o7oe.jpg

And current progress as of tonight.  Engine is all bolted back in with new foam between firewall and engine shroud.  I found the crankcase vent hose cracked in numerous places at the barbed fitting, so I have that ordered, along with a new air filter, fuel filter, and gasket between the air cleaner and carb.  Might as well fill the flat rate box!

traceng91_zpstackjq4b.jpg

• Like 3

oliver2-44

There's nothing like  good maintenance going through to keep her running a long time in the future. 

shallowwatersailor

Thanks for posting the photos. There are a number of nooks and crannies in that area to trap dust and grass clippings. Kohler recommends cleaning behind the shroud every 100 hours. With the optional access covers, it allows you to get in there with an air nozzle and vacuum, which saves having to pull the engine. The trouble is the engine needs to be pulled to install the covers.

• Like 1

ferguson65
3 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Thanks for posting the photos. There are a number of nooks and crannies in that area to trap dust and grass clippings. Kohler recommends cleaning behind the shroud every 100 hours. With the optional access covers, it allows you to get in there with an air nozzle and vacuum, which saves having to pull the engine. The trouble is the engine needs to be pulled to install the covers.

I don't really know how much the covers would actually help in cleaning it from what I saw.  You can loosen the outer cylinder covers without pulling the entire shroud, enough to get behind them, that's the only place I really found grass.  The serious grime build up on the back of the head can be largely cleaned up with a tube on a blow gun by taking the air filter housing off, same with the grime in the valley and on the inside of the heads and cylinders.  Even the bad grime on the back of the cylinders can be largely blown out by sneaking a blow gun with a long tube between the cylinders and intake manifold.

All that said, pulling the engine isn't all that hard either.  Much harder to find the time to do it.  Now I just need to deal with the axles.  I have new set screws for both hubs.  I need to track down a new hub for the L/S, then I can try the brass key and welding.  The R/S should be savable with new set screws and Loctite.  Tried to buy my own welder last week but they were sold out..........................have about a week wait.  Need to replace the chain on the two stage blower and get that on for now.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I have found the left cylinder from the driver seat to be the problem area. Like you said, it is easy enough to pull the engine. Due to the design just not as easy as an Onan on a 400/500-series.

WNYPCRepair
On January 4, 2016 at 6:12 PM, ferguson65 said:

Need to replace the chain on the two stage blower and get that on for now.

Do you have any pictures of your two stage? I would like to compare with the one I got with the New Holland GT22. 

ferguson65
On 1/5/2016 at 6:51 PM, shallowwatersailor said:

I have found the left cylinder from the driver seat to be the problem area. Like you said, it is easy enough to pull the engine. Due to the design just not as easy as an Onan on a 400/500-series.

I will agree on the Onan.   I've pulled it out of my dad's 520h a few times over the years.   That one is really easy!

ferguson65
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

Do you have any pictures of your two stage? I would like to compare with the one I got with the New Holland GT22. 

I do not have any pics of the blower currently...........but I can grab some when I get it out.  Still buried in the shed at the moment.  

I got my breather hose, air filter and gasket and got the tractor all back together today.  New fuel filter too.   Decided to put the chains and weights on while I was at it.  Since this was about the first time I put the chains on in the daylight without a time crunch, I had a chance to look them over.  Normally they take prybars, pliers,  cursing, bleeding, and way too much effort to get on.  The ones on my dad's 520 go on easy.  Today I found a bunch of the cross tire lengths installed on the wrong sides of the outer links,  twisting them all up.  Fixed that and they went right on by hand.  Also found one of the transaxle mount bolts is broke off, I'll deal with that when I deal with the axle keys.  Today's progress.

tracchain_zpsg30o8ooa.jpg

I'm waiting to put the blower on til the snow threatens, I got the hard parts of the blower install done, the blower itself is easy.  I need to move some firewood and it's much more convenient without the blower.  

Edited by ferguson65
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Better check the bearings. I had to replace the ones on both ends of the augers, and the ones on the jack shaft between the pulley and chain sprocket up top, and my shaft was eaten up too

ferguson65
Just now, WNYPCRepair said:

Better check the bearings. I had to replace the ones on both ends of the augers, and the ones on the jack shaft between the pulley and chain sprocket up top, and my shaft was eaten up too

I went over it good last year before I put it on and all looked good, but while I'm doing the chain it'll get another once over.  We don't get the kind of snow and usage here like you get in Buffalo though!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

These are the auger bearings from mine. The edges are bent from the punch I had to use to drive them out of the flanges, otherwise this is what they looked like.

569325271c1c9_augerbearings.thumb.JPG.7c

They were probably good for another few hours, but I decided to change them before they got too bad, LOL

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

ferguson65

Snow in the forecast!  Hauled 3 loads of wood to the porch and put the blower on tonight.  Hooked the blower up in the shed and moved it to the garage to swap out the drive chain.  The old one was rusted solid.  Long overdue.  Everything else on the blower looks good with the exception of the idler and tensioner pulleys for the chain.  They'll have to hold up for this storm and then I'll grab a new set.  Remounted the blower on the tractor and installed the weight box and loaded it with concrete.  Almost didn't get any pics, the power went out as I was about to start it to back out of the garage, but it was short lived.  I know someone asked for some pics of the blower, so here they are.  Think after this year I'm going to pull it apart and paint it.

blotrac_zpszjwo6cdk.jpg

blotrac3_zps4mlfw33t.jpg

blotrac4_zpsbvmexm9o.jpg

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair
19 minutes ago, ferguson65 said:

Snow in the forecast!  Hauled 3 loads of wood to the porch and put the blower on tonight.  Hooked the blower up in the shed and moved it to the garage to swap out the drive chain.  The old one was rusted solid.  Long overdue.  Everything else on the blower looks good with the exception of the idler and tensioner pulleys for the chain.  They'll have to hold up for this storm and then I'll grab a new set.  Remounted the blower on the tractor and installed the weight box and loaded it with concrete.  Almost didn't get any pics, the power went out as I was about to start it to back out of the garage, but it was short lived.  I know someone asked for some pics of the blower, so here they are.  Think after this year I'm going to pull it apart and paint it.

Thanks, I had asked for pictures to compare to the one I got with the New Holland. It's an exact match. If you don't mind, I would love a model number. I've been guessing when I order parts. 

Yours is in a bit better shape than mine, the PO left it outside and it is rusting away. Spring will be time to start stripping it. 

How much would you guess the blower weighs?

ferguson65
6 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Thanks, I had asked for pictures to compare to the one I got with the New Holland. It's an exact match. If you don't mind, I would love a model number. I've been guessing when I order parts. 

Yours is in a bit better shape than mine, the PO left it outside and it is rusting away. Spring will be time to start stripping it. 

How much would you guess the blower weighs?

Model number is 79366.  Its heavy, that's for sure!  I can get motivated and lift the 175 pound 5th wheel out of my truck.   I can't do much more than drag this beast.  I'd have to guess around 250#.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, ferguson65 said:

Model number is 79366.  Its heavy, that's for sure!  I can get motivated and lift the 175 pound 5th wheel out of my truck.   I can't do much more than drag this beast.  I'd have to guess around 250#.

Yeah, getting mine off the trailer by myself was fun. Good thing the trailer tilts. :)

Xearl

I was wondering about how much weight do you have on the back. I never saw a weight box before. So I wound up ordering two idler sprockets and bought a roll of #40 chain at tractor supply.  Thanks for the  help. It now looks like the snow is going to miss us. I won't feel bad waiting for the parts. 

ferguson65
2 hours ago, Xearl said:

I was wondering about how much weight do you have on the back. I never saw a weight box before. So I wound up ordering two idler sprockets and bought a roll of #40 chain at tractor supply.  Thanks for the  help. It now looks like the snow is going to miss us. I won't feel bad waiting for the parts. 

They upped our snow total to 12-18.  Lighter and fluffier, but more.  I'm not quite sure how much weight is hanging back there.  The box itself and frame bracket probably come in around 40-50 pounds.  It's stacked up with about 6 pieces of broken concrete curb.  I'd guess there's 200-250 pounds back there.  Plus the wheel weights and me at #240.  I can't imagine how well it would push that heavy with a plow, tough to really judge pushing traction with the blower.  I'm unsure if it really needs that much weight for the blower, I can say that if I get it stuck in the snow hauling firewood in full winter dress, it is a royal pain in the ass to get out.  The weight box is 3/16 ish and the bracketry is all 1/4.  It does have a s/n tag on it, I'll have to look at it harder and see who made it.  Tag doesn't appear Wheelhorse.

shallowwatersailor
9 hours ago, ferguson65 said:

The weight box is 3/16 ish and the bracketry is all 1/4.  It does have a s/n tag on it, I'll have to look at it harder and see who made it.  Tag doesn't appear Wheelhorse.

That looks like the weight box for the 5xi; two bolts to the upper holes in the frame and also bolted to the hitch. They may have been sourced from Kwik-Way.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

ferguson65
3 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

That looks like the weight box for the 5xi; two bolts to the upper holes in the frame and also bolted to the hitch. They may have been sourced from Kwik-Way.

This one has a bracket that bolts to the frame with 4 bolts.  Then a pin through the bracket connects it to the box.  Then a pin, or I use a bolt through the hitch.  I'd guess it's not Wheelhorse because the bracket will not work with the bagger.  Wheelhorse thought things through better than that. 

We've got over a foot on the ground so far.  Probably go out after lunch and do a first round.  Not because I have to, more because I'd rather shovel half the snow twice than shovel 18" plus what the blower added to it at once.

Edited by ferguson65

Xearl

Thanks for the info . So far here in upstate NY  0" .  I don't feel bad now waiting for the parts for the snow thrower . I also have most of the parts to motorize the shoot deflector I just have to fabricate mounting for the  switch .    ED  ---   Xearl

DennisThornton
21 minutes ago, Xearl said:

Thanks for the info . So far here in upstate NY  0" .  I don't feel bad now waiting for the parts for the snow thrower . I also have most of the parts to motorize the shoot deflector I just have to fabricate mounting for the  switch .    ED  ---   Xearl

I'll watching for photos!  Where abouts in "upstate NY"?

Xearl

Saugerties  ( land of opportunity  )    exit 20  on the NYS Thruway . Just looked up Peru  . You are upstate NY .

Edited by Xearl

ferguson65

Well today was a bust for the Horse.  Ten feet out of the shed the left tie rod end at the axle broke.  I rigged that up and blew a path out of the shed to the driveway.  Blew open the first 40 feet of the driveway about 10' wide.  Blower ate the belt and I don't have a spare.  Called the local ACE and they were open.  Blew through a 3 foot drift with my truck and drove there in near zero visibility.  They didn't have anything long enough.  Drove to the local autozone and they didn't have anything either.  Came home and shoveled the sidewalk and a path around the truck.  Made a rum and Coke.  I've had enough.

One of the guys on here offered me a 5Xi plow when I was looking for the bagger a few months back.  I passed.  for $150, boy do I feel stupid today!

Ordered all the parts I need.  the belt is an oddball length at 104.35, but if I can find a 104 or 105 tomorrow I'll buy both and hope to get by.  Ordered the correct belt and 2 tie rod ends for the axle end, 1 for the other end (LH thread), and the 2 idlers for the blower chain.  I'll keep the spares on the shelf.  Not getting screwed again.

Edited by ferguson65

Xearl

Bummer !  I spent time getting the blower mounted and the found a bad idler sprocket . I ordered the parts but told myself if we get snow I'll use it anyway since I'm butting new sprockets and chain . Well you guessed it no snow . I do have two other machines. A 518XI and a John deere  770 . The blower is on a 523DXI. 

ferguson65
1 hour ago, Xearl said:

Bummer !  I spent time getting the blower mounted and the found a bad idler sprocket . I ordered the parts but told myself if we get snow I'll use it anyway since I'm butting new sprockets and chain . Well you guessed it no snow . I do have two other machines. A 518XI and a John deere  770 . The blower is on a 523DXI. 

I was in the same boat with the idlers.  Just needed one more storm from them.  I only got the chain on Thursday night so it just had to do.  I haven't done a thing to the blower other than grease it for 7 years.  I knew the end of last year the chain was beyond done.  I should have known better on the belt.  One thing if a mower belt breaks, the grass being long for a few days is of no harm.  But 24" of snow on the driveway is a headache.

The tie rod end was a total surprise though!  Honestly just glad it didn't fall apart when I was riding it up and down the road trying to check max speed!  I am bummed.  Had to swallow my pride and make arrangements to borrow a walk behind.  TSC carries a 105" belt, but none of the local stores have it in stock.

Edited by ferguson65