DougC

Upper Steering Shaft Bearing ?

DougC

Both my 88 and 95 520H's have too much movement in the steering wheel like the bearing or bushing closest to the steering wheel whichever it is is worn out  They rattle while sitting still and idling  and quite frankly that just drives me nuts............ Anybody had to replace theirs and want to fill me in on the procedure ? The dealer says he can get that stuff but I'm not sure what all to have him order and what all needs to be removed to replace the parts. Watched the video on loose steering on 520H Y-Tube but he did not do that part. The snows coming and I don't want to  tear into it and have it out of service when I need it. the newer one has the motion lever and hyd. lift lever on the column. The older one of course is the stick type     :)

cleat

This is what I did to one of my 520's. Drilled out the original bushing hole and installed a flanged wheel bearing with a 3/4" center hole. Same wheel bearing most Wheel Horses have been using for years. No more play and very nice easy steering feel.
Upgraded_upper_steering_shaft_bearing_1.
Upgraded_upper_steering_shaft_bearing_2.
Upgraded_upper_steering_shaft_bearing_3.

The other ones have the older style with the bolt on bracket for the steering bearing instead of being mounted under dash. I did the same for that one.

Cleat

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

I did the same as Bob Doug but I added an additional piece of metal broke over on 1 edge for rigidity. Used an old but still good flange bearing from the lower steering rod. Nice and tight now. Learned this fix on the forum here.

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

• Like 1

DougC

OK, so what you guys are saying is I can't just order a new part, take off steering wheel and loosen a n allen set screw and slide the old one off the shaft and then reverse the procedure to reassemble? 
I have to make a custom fit and actually spend more than 20 minutes total on entire repair?  Remember, I'm a retired GM tech and used to working on flat rate................. I lost all my patience in 1970.     :lol:

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Its usually the metal lthat the bearingi is riding in that eggs out. Not so much the bearing. You will have to investigate.

• Like 1

DougC

Its usually the metal lthat the bearingi is riding in that eggs out. Not so much the bearing. You will have to investigate.

Well said.  I will turn off the laptop and unlock the tool box and make a close visual inspection. I just assumed I had a part failure  since it seemed to happen so quickly on my 95.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

Wishin4a416

Its not a real good picture but you can see the egg shape in the part that holds the bearing and in the part that of the dash where throttle and choke and such are located. The bearing was fine, the sheet metal was worn. That might be the case with yours as well.

Dash.jpg

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 1

sorekiwi

Here is what the column support bracket looked like on my 1990 520H:

IMG_2504.jpg

I spun up a steel bush, pressed a bronze bushing into it and welded it into the sheetmetal bracket.

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

PS.  You wont get it done in 20 minutes!!

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer
Looks like a good fix to me.

608KEB

Toro still has the flange bearing. 

IMG_20151118_195800652.jpg

• Like 1

cleat

I have new Toro bushings as well but found that the steering was loose even with a new bushing due to wear in the mounting plate and on the steering shaft itself.

Hopefully a ball bearing will stop that from happening ever again.

• Like 1

DougC

Got it guys, thank you for all your pictures and advice! I feel I can get the repair done when the weather cooperates and the temps warm up a little more.    :)

• Like 2