Brian01

Retro/patina paint job

Pullstart

Stacey David did that to an old truck on one of his TV shows a while back, I think it was just on the show TRUCKS! if I recall.  He does great work, that looked way too easy to screw up.  not a bad idea for an old tractor too

Brian01

Well thank ya, I was just curious...I'm likin' it so far, just the few things I've done to it. I like the look of an old frame with new shiney hood. Bare metal here and there, etc.

Some would say, why would you do that to a new paint job? But it just looks "Too" new! Mines not show worthy anyway, and is going to be a daily driver and worker.

Brian01

Paint is pretty thin on the frame, goes to bare metal pretty quick...probably gonna end up having to disassemble some, and clear coat it all...or keep it oiled or waxed real well. Not turning out to bad though.

• Like 1

Howie

I have seen quite a few of these vehicles at car shows and most clear over what they have. Whether original patina or what they have created.
I tthink they may put use the additive to make it come out flat or at least not so shiny.
David

Brian01

Still debating on whether to do toolbox, fenders and hood or just the frame n maybe shifter and tranny.

Brian01

Does look better with clear coat over it.

TDF5G

I'm not an expert body man, but I know the car guys put layers underneath, rust and primer colors before a top coat and then sand/rub that back down to give the appearance of being weathered and worn, rusty, bare metal, faded paint, etc.  Then they cover it all with a flat sealer or flat clear coat to preserve it.  If you want to preserve the bare metal without it rusting, you'd have to cover it with something, obviously. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Brian01

Yup, I just clear coated everything I done a few minutes ago...even coated the hood while I was at it....shiney in the sun

1447950180651815361784.jpg

1447950216997-135310177.jpg

• Like 1

Brian01

Brake pedal turned out great I think...took a buffing wheelon the grinder to it.

1447951386748-415692222.jpg

Details look much better in person of course.

• Like 1

Brian01

May end up taking a buffing wheel to the frame as well, then clear coating it again...dunno if it would be "too much" or not.

I'm diggin the look of the pedal though...may not get that carried away on the frame, but remove more here and there.

Edited by Brian01

RedRanger

The trick is to make it look natural like many years of use and weathered abuse.  If you only do some things, better make them look like normal use or it will just look wrong.

• Like 3

Brian01

That's the plan...lots of character..only thing ima have problems with is tranny because its actually regel red and not it'l harvester...may have to disassemble, repaint a couple layers, then sand it out.

Wish the "character" shows up better in pics, cause it looks pretty good in person.

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:    You could sew some Scotchbrite to your pants seat and get on and off the seat Lots of times to take care of the seat.  :ychain:
  • Like 5

Brian01

Im still debating on whether or not to do the seat..it is primered, black base coat with antique white over that.

Brian01

So hitch...

1447968687196-2019479074.jpg

Brian01

Not really liking how the seat is turning out ...

1447969787810-1131637095.jpg

1447969840146-1767027420.jpg

Brian01

I may take the seat down to bare metal.

Brian01

Nope, just remove and repaint...lol

1447972518258-1350773788.jpg

• Like 1

RedRanger

After all that work you did to get that tractor painted!  This is why we have more than ONE tractor in our collection.

• Like 1

Brian01

Yeah yeah, I know, I'm just doing the frame, footrests, and a few other things, that are going to wear anyway. Clear coated the hood, and fenders.

There's not actually any Dramatic change to it....just making parts look worn here and there, that are going to anyway.

Like II said, didn't like the seat at all, so it got repainted a bit ago, and hood and fenders got clear coated, which they needed anyway.

I'm really impressed with the difference in it after clear coating it...really pops out.

Lighting sucks and can't get a real good pic.

IMG_20151119_171015366.jpg

• Like 2

Brian01

The look that I really like is like vinsrj's 56 rj35 he done, real shiney hood with old bare metal n faded pint frame...looks awsome..if you don't know what I'm talking bout, go to youtube and search VinsRJ

Ken B

If you are after the Patina look I would start by looking for a period correct engine to drop on that tractor. The easiest way to get the correct look of patina is to find a tractor with original patina, starting with a tractor that looks freshly painted can be tricky. I have done the fake patina thing with very nice results but it takes a lot of time, trial and error to get it right. Satin or semi gloss clear coat is the way to go.. 

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 1