briankd

oil leak unidrive input shaft

briankd

may need some help. my 857 was pulling a lawn sweeper when I got done noticed oil flung up under seat pan from input of trans .it has done this before but it quit .I guess I need to change the seal. this seal easy to get at? I changed axle seals years ago on it used a pick and they popped right out. are they that easy to do? I really  hope I don't have to split the case and it be internal . also when I bought this tractor input pully was loose and floppy I pulled it off and the keyway slot was worn out so I put jb weld on shaft and pully and it has been 15 years now and pully still never moved hope it will come off now.

953 nut

Presuming the JB Weld will let go and the shaft bearing is good, yes it will be as easy as the axle seals were.

Terry M

Presuming the JB Weld will let go and the shaft bearing is good, yes it will be as easy as the axle seals were.

I agree with 953.....but, If you want to keep going with that 857, consider taking the time to split the trans, cleaning everything ,checking the bearings and maybe using this moment of opportunity to change that input shaft.   I think your 857 should have a 5053 unidrive and the input shaft shouldn't be hard to find.

just my two cents:)

• Like 1

briankd

thanks guys but the bad thing is I just put the plow and chains on it for the winter. hopefully it just a seal. trans seems overall ok to me no noises changed the oil twice in the 15 yrs. iv had it and oil always looked good when it was drained. but makes sense now with load on the trans maybe brg has some slop and seal leaks.

953 nut

If you lock the clutch pedal down removing belt tension you can check it for play, presuming not too bad you may just want to add oil until spring.

• Like 1

briankd

If you lock the clutch pedal down removing belt tension you can check it for play, presuming not too bad you may just want to add oil until spring.

that's probably what im  gona do for now .hell I cant catch a break with this stuff. I have a 1970 JD 110 hell it pouring oil outa both the axles and I need it to mow this spring and this 857 need it in the spring to plow  :lol: plus I have a snow blower  im  just starting to restore it going to be a busy winter/spring

• Like 1

stevasaurus

PM sent Brian.  :)

• Like 1

briankd

what a great bunch of guys on here !!!!! talked to stevasaurus on the phone and found out I have a redsquare guy in my backyard that does a lot of wheel horse transmisions. I think this turned out great. thanks alot

• Like 2

stevasaurus

It was excellent talking with you sir.  :)   Guys with 857s need to stick together.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2