oldtin 921

D160 ammeter

oldtin 921

Got an 1980 D160 awhile back that was severely abused and I'm trying to turn it back into the beast it should be! My problem is that someone removed the amp gauge and put the wires together. I got a used gauge  and installed it and it registers minus when the engine is running. Also it never charges the battery. It has an Onan engine so how do I check the regulator to see if it is charging?? Thanks

953 nut

Prior to checking anything electrical clean and tighten all battery cable ends, the grounding of the regulator and the terminal connections on the regulator. To check the charging circuit at the voltage regulator, there will be two black wires going to the engine and an orange wire to the ignition switch. With the engine running at half throttle or above you should have about 36 Volts AC voltage between the black wires. The third wire is orange and should read about 14 Volts DC to ground. 

:twocents-02cents:  A volt meter will tell you a lot more than an amp meter, you may want to consider replacing it.

• Like 2

oldtin 921

Thank you,I will check it all out. I think the regulator is junk because the resin around the terminals is all melted!

oldtin 921

Update,checked everything and it all pointed to the regulator.  Bought one for $14.00 on ebay and now she charges like a champ! thanks

• Like 1