Rollerman

Stuck bolt ideas

shallowwatersailor

An impact wrench has been mentioned before but I bought a 3/8" drive battery powered impact wrench for getting head bolts off without shearing them. It stil provides the impact but not quite the shock of a larger unit.

TDF5G

Oh and dead-shorting a Lead-Acid battery is just not a real smart thing to do. (Just saying)!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's why I'd like see how that would work.  :o

Edited by TDF5G

mikekot3

The miniinductor II induction heating tool works well for removing stuck bolts. The website is www.theinductor.com

• Like 2

Coadster32

I had a Metrinch set years ago. Liked it alot....till it got stolen.:bitch: They worked really good on mildly, corners bent bolts. When something is rounded and messed up...don't expect wonders. I thought it was great to work on something, and the wrench that's close enough always worked.

I also have a set of the nut-extractors from Sears, and have yet to use them. (although glad to hear they work well...reverse easy-out)

Welding a nut is pretty stout. Don't go crazy welding it on...too much heat, or possible weld the mut to the manifold. (yikes).

Don't recommend the battery trick..(although I'd like to see that as well....just not in my garage)

Heat does go along way...just watch out for aluminum blocks though.

953 nut

if you break a drill or tap off you'll really be !!?&# . You know what I'm saying. Also like the idea of cutting the flang loose for more room , if the tubing still has enough meat on it where you weld it back together .

:twocents-02cents:  If you were to have the misfortune of breaking a drill bit off you can heat it red hot with a torch and let it cool, this will remove the temper and let you drill it out.

• Like 2

JackC

Metrinch socket, extension, and impact wrench.  The Metrinch sockets and wrenches grab the sides of the heads or nuts rather than the corners.

Best tool set I own.  Watch the video in the lower left corner.

http://www.metrinch.tv/

Okay, that's just a cool idea.  And you say they work well, do you use them routinely or just for worn bolts and nuts?

I use then routinely. The same sockets and wrenches work on both metric and inch bolts and nuts. 

JackC

Can you get to it with a small blade chisel and and a hammer. Dig the blade of the chisel into the side of the bolt head and tap with the hammer to put torque on the bolt.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

OK, finally found the post about using a battery to remove rusty screws/bolts. It's about halfway down the page.

Ed Kennell

OK Brian....so it was posted by Garry.

WNYPCRepair

OK Brian....so it was posted by Garry.

There is a video showing it in action. I thought they also discussed the mini inductor in that topic, but I guess it was another thread, as I don't see it now. You can also use a stick welder instead of a battery.

TDF5G

OK, finally found the post about using a battery to remove rusty screws/bolts. It's about halfway down the page.

I do hope you get this bolt out. (Video was great on the Metrinch)
Oh and dead-shorting a Lead-Acid battery is just not a real smart thing to do. (Just saying)!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's why I'd like see how that would work.  

Thanks for sharing this again here.  Some things you have to see to believe.  I am from Missouri, The Show-Me State! :rolleyes:  

I was imagining sparks and mayhem when short circuiting a battery like that.  I reckon that using the right type of conductor to make the connection keeps it from welding itself to the parts, like a screwdriver or wrench would do.  Along with the rust acting as a resistor.  It looks like a nail set punch is used in the video. 
Gonna have to try this!

I am familiar with the heat inductors, never used one but I've seen 'em put to use.  I know where I can borrow one.
Edited by TDF5G
my replies get combined and it messes it up for me, gotta figure out how to do this when replying to a quote

953 nut

I guess the science behind the rust being electrically resistant and concentrating the heat seems reasonable, but I am not about to consider doing the "Short out a battery trick"! The bolt may be rusted in place or corroded due to dissimilar metals, or it could be cross threaded.  :twocents-02cents:   Also, the concentrated heat probably would damage the aluminum block that the bolt is in 

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

I do hope you get this bolt out. (Video was great on the Metrinch)

Yes, that's why I'd like see how that would work.  

Thanks for sharing this again here.  Some things you have to see to believe.  I am from Missouri, The Show-Me State! :rolleyes:  

I was imagining sparks and mayhem when short circuiting a battery like that.  I reckon that using the right type of conductor to make the connection keeps it from welding itself to the parts, like a screwdriver or wrench would do.  Along with the rust acting as a resistor.  It looks like a nail set punch is used in the video. 
Gonna have to try this!

I am familiar with the heat inductors, never used one but I've seen 'em put to use.  I know where I can borrow one.

The merging of posts is beyond your control, and I agree, it is annoying. It sometimes has the effect of making your replies confusing, and combines unrelated replies.

I guess the science behind the rust being electrically resistant and concentrating the heat seems reasonable, but I am not about to consider doing the "Short out a battery trick"! The bolt may be rusted in place or corroded due to dissimilar metals, or it could be cross threaded.     Also, the concentrated heat probably would damage the aluminum block that the bolt is in 

Yes, the aluminum block probably rules out this procedure.

• Like 1

Rollerman

Success....after many disappointing nights not getting anywhere with this exhaust bolt, I finally got it out without breaking it.

I wasn't having any luck with the dead blow impact, the center for the Allen tool was to ate away.

I ended up using a chisel to break free the lock washer & relieve some of the pressure on the bolt...then with vice grips & some wiggling it started to free up.

Now I can get busy prepping it for installation in my Steiner Turf Master.

12248652_10207982691274336_14570502_n.jpg

• Like 1

boovuc

Geez Rollerman.........................now what are we going to talk about now that you have this bolt out!!!!!!

Thanks a Lot!

:D

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:handgestures-thumbupright::greetings-clappingyellow: