Sign in to follow this  
Brian01

RJ 58 tranny stamp

Brian01

Hey fellers, I just got to thinking bout this last night and this morning...never checked into it much, because I used a suburban 400 tranny on my RJ...the one that came on it was just a roller, all of its guts I got in a box.....anywho next to the shifter boot on the RJ transmission it is stamped " B15-0" can someone tell me what that means?

IMG_20151113_085358931_TOP.jpg

wallfish

The theory is
B= Feb
15 = 15th day
0 = 1960

• Like 3

Brian01

1960? Hm, so wouldn't actually be the original rj58 tranny either then right? The tab for the break mount is vertical (no angle, like a suburban) so I know its for an RJ.

stevasaurus

That date is a casting date for the cast part.  Anyone could have changed the side plate which in essence would change it from a #5010 to a #5003.  I have done that myself.  :)  It is also possible that the side plates are original and the casting is  not.  The ears where the side plates bolt on are very fragile and easy to break off.  If someone did that, trying to fix the trans, a new casting would be an option.  :eusa-think:

• Like 3

Brian01

Yeah, makes sense. I was gonna keep the original casting and internals, but I doubt I'll ever put it back together...may put it in classifieds n see if I get any interests.

stevasaurus

Brian, how many teeth are at the small end of the brake shaft gear??  8 or 11  :)

Brian01

Have no idea...its in my storage unit up town.

stevasaurus

If it is 8.. all the internal gears are from a 1958 RJ.  If it is 11...it is still possible that the internal gears are from a RJ, either 1958 or 1959.  :)

Brian01

Okorgive my ignorance, but what does the brake shaft gear look like?

If I have time when igo get my boy from school, I'll run by n look at it.

stevasaurus

It is the large mushroom looking gear...the top part of that gear meshes with the differential.  I might have a picture  :)  This picture happens to have the gear with 8 teeth at the top.

2012_0115Jakes40013.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

Brian01

Yeah, mine has 8 as well, hard to see cause bearing is on there but....

1447444551456-1567731341.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Well, congratulations Brian...that is from a #5003 transmission and a 1958 RJ.  Guaranteed.  :)

Brian01

Cool...I would like to rebuild it and put it back on one day..but you know how that goes...

If I do decide to sale it, casting and internals, brake drum and lining..what do you think would be a fair price for it all? Have tranny pully as well but its broke on one side.

stevasaurus

I would need to see pictures of all the gears...I would expect to change out all the bearings and seals.  The thing you have going for you, is that you can see all the parts before you buy...if you have all the parts.  The trans value, of course, depends on how bad the buyer needs the parts.  I will not give you a number here, but I can tell you what I have seen in the last couple of years.  There was a guy at Scott's M&G and had the trans tore apart and in a 5 gallon bucket...he wanted $20...probably could have got it for $10.  On the other hand, a good input gear and a good 2nd and 3rd fork gear can go for $20 apiece.  Your mushroom gear can fetch $20...same with your differential.  This stuff is getting harder to find, to be honest.  What ever you do...do not junk it...you can save a horse with what you have.  :)

• Like 2

Brian01

Yeah for those prices, I'll probably just hang on to it, and on some snowey, Rainey days work on it.

stevasaurus

At least wire brush those parts and use some Lucus oil to keep them that way...take pictures of the gears for future reference.  :)
Protect your investment.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

Brian01

Will do..

• Like 1

Brian01

Watched your 5003 rebuild videos over and over today Steve. You make it look to easy lol.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1