Sign in to follow this  
COMB2

VARIATIONS

COMB2

OK I know on the older tractors (60's) that the numbers in the tractors name designated something like a 867. 8=8hp, 6=6 speed and 7=1967. what do the letter on the A,B,C series stand for? Picking up a C-105 today. I guess the base model is C-100 but what is C-105, C-101 or C-111?

Also I have some B-80's but have seen B-81, B-82 and B-85.

I'm pretty sure the first number is HP atleast that makes sense. What about the secondary #'s :hide:

C-Series14

This will take alot of typing but you ask for it! This is from a 1974 brochure describing the "A, B, C, and D's of tractoring...

A-Series - Here's the light, compact tractor for the family who is primarily interested in mowing grass. Our A-800 Series comes with a 32" mower as standard equipment. It's recommended for mowing small to medium size lawns and for light snow removal chores.

B-Series - Wheel Horse's B-Series tractors have been designed to provide the home owner with a compact size, full feature garden tractor. This is the basic tractor a man needs to care for an intermediate size lawn and small garden. There's plenty of power to pull a small plow or disc and do over 25 different jobs with available optional attachments.

C-Series - Our new C-Series gives you a good selection of full size garden tractors. They are designed for the man who has a medium or a large sized lawn and garden. A choice of four models from 10 to 16 hp. The new C-Series is a group of tough, reliable tractors you'd expect from a company with 28 years of garden tractor experience.

D-Series - In 1974, there are three D-Series tractors available, 16, 18, and 19.9 hp. Our D-Series tractors are ideal to care for medium or large acreage. These are the biggest and toughest tractors we have ever built! All the power and efficiency you could ask for from a garden tractor.

Now, to answer your question, the front number is the HP usually, then the last number just denotes a series, "0" for 1974-1977, "1" for 1978-1979, and "5" for 1980-1984. Sometimes they didn't go by that system, as in the LT and GT Series, the SK and SB Series, The Electric Series, and some of the lettered series...for example, the A-111 was made from 1979-1984!

HorseFixer

This will take alot of typing but you ask for it! This is from a 1974 brochure describing the "A, B, C, and D's of tractoring...

A-Series - Here's the light, compact tractor for the family who is primarily interested in mowing grass. Our A-800 Series comes with a 32" mower as standard equipment. It's recommended for mowing small to medium size lawns and for light snow removal chores.

B-Series - Wheel Horse's B-Series tractors have been designed to provide the home owner with a compact size, full feature garden tractor. This is the basic tractor a man needs to care for an intermediate size lawn and small garden. There's plenty of power to pull a small plow or disc and do over 25 different jobs with available optional attachments.

C-Series - Our new C-Series gives you a good selection of full size garden tractors. They are designed for the man who has a medium or a large sized lawn and garden. A choice of four models from 10 to 16 hp. The new C-Series is a group of tough, reliable tractors you'd expect from a company with 28 years of garden tractor experience.

D-Series - In 1974, there are three D-Series tractors available, 16, 18, and 19.9 hp. Our D-Series tractors are ideal to care for medium or large acreage. These are the biggest and toughest tractors we have ever built! All the power and efficiency you could ask for from a garden tractor.

Now, to answer your question, the front number is the HP usually, then the last number just denotes a series, "0" for 1974-1977, "1" for 1978-1979, and "5" for 1980-1984. Sometimes they didn't go by that system, as in the LT and GT Series, the SK and SB Series, The Electric Series, and some of the lettered series...for example, the A-111 was made from 1979-1984!

So there ya go and there ya have it from the C SERIES GURU himself! :hide: Good information!

Rollerman

Picking up a C-105 today. I guess the base model is C-100 but what is C-105, C-101 or C-111?

Comb the C 105 would have been the last variation of the C series before they moved onto the 300 & 400 series.

With the C's the C 100,120,& 160 were the first models from 1974 to 77 followed by a design change that brought the C 81, 101, 121,141, & 161 from 1978 to 79.

The C's ending with xx1 would have had the newer rubber mounted engine cradle, wider style of dash tower & new lift handle.

From 1980 to 83 Wheel Horse revised the C lineup again with the C85,105,125,145,165,175,& 195....these had the flat black hood centers & the same improvements as the previous design.

Also I have some B-80's but have seen B-81, B-82 and B-85.

The B 80 & B100 were Horizontal Kohler powered tractors & built very similiar to the C series.

The B 81, 82 & 85 were vertical shaft design "Lawn Tractors" & mostly ment for mowing & light snow removal.

I'm sure I missed something & someone else may add to this, but gives you kinda a general idea.

Also as Mike mentioned there were some odd ball tractors out there too like the SK486 (48" mowing deck + 16HP Kohler) The C 111 was very similiar to the C101 but used a B&S engine.

It would be a long list & a lot of typing to cover them all. :hide:

COMB2

Thanks !!! Just got back from picking up the 1981 C-105. The # system you described is right on. Bought it from an old man that bought it new. He had all the original manuals and recipt. He bought it new in June of 82' for $3375. Lot of dough for back then but the thing still starts right up. Not to big on the plastic fenders and have already broke them. I'm not sure but it looks like the fenders on my b-80 might bolt right on. Anyone got any ideas about this?

Rollerman

The plastic fenders on the C xx5's were not one of Horse's best ideas.

Any fender from a Horse with a fuel tank under the seat will interchange.

Personally I think the 300/400/500 series fender pans look nice on the black hoods. :hide:

COMB2

Wow thanks Tickster! My next post was going to ask if a c175 fender would fit :hide:

BairleaFarm

The B 80 & B100 were Horizontal Kohler powered tractors & built very similiar to the C series.

Whats the difference between a B100 and a C160? other than engines? I compared the 2 and didnt really see anything tractor wise.

charger10us

Measure from the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel & I think you will see the differance ! I think the B is shorter.

C-Series14

According to the 1974 brochure, the B-Series is 35" wide, 40" tall, and 60" long. The C-Series is 36" wide, 43" tall, and 65" long...

Back to football...