JAinVA

16 magnum question

JAinVA

Hey guys,
          I have a puzzle that maybe you guys can help me solve.I bought a 1988 416 8 speed that has 1200+ hrs on the clock.The engine runs good with no visible smoke but seems
use oil at the rate of about a quart every 8 to 12 hours.There are no external leaks that I see.The hours on the engine tells me that its burnimg oil but again no blue smoke.A little black smoke at throttle up but with the oil consumption I see I am puzzled.I am thinking rings in the future but are the magnum series this hard on oil?Thanks in advance for your insight.
                                                                                                                                Luck,JAinVA

Shynon

Kohler manual states engine will consume oil when multi grade oil is used.  Yours seems to consume a little more than I would consider normal.

JAinVA

Shynon,
           Thanks for the reply.I should have noted the oil used when I posted.I run a good quality straight 30W in all my air cooled engines.In years past I have had car engines that burned so much oil that they only saw the cheapest reprocessed dino juice I could get.They all smoked heavily but this Kohler is different.

Shynon

I would pull the head and take a look.

Fordiesel69

Single or twin?

JAinVA

Single.I don't have any issues rebuilding a K series but I understand the magnum series require the balance gears.Again this engine does not puff oil smoke,just a lttle carbon
smoke at throttle up.

Fordiesel69

Three things come to mind, a loose throttle shaft will increase oil consumption, a restricted air filter element will also do this, and lastly a bad breather assy.  If these do not correct the problem, it is either valve guides or rings. 

Magnums are only different in that they use a magneto, and they typically have a different nose on the crank where the flywheel is bolted instead of nutted.  Other than that they are a replica of a K series, but smoother...........

can whlvr

as stated the magnum uses the same block,basically,lots of k series have balamce gears too,many of us remove them when rebuilding and its a lot easier,that seems to be a lot of oil being used,keep your eye on it or she will need a rebuild for sure

JAinVA

I just rebuilt a k301 and chucked the balance gears .I put over 250 hours on the engine before it caught fire in the 90's.I don't notice any increase in vibration without the balance gears.With that said the crank in the magnum 16 is supposed to be lighter than the K series and must run the balance gears or they will vibrate excessively.I think
that one of the folks here just ran into this issue after rebuilding a magnum and leaving out the balance gears.I have not had this engine that long and the PO didn't seem to keep up with the maintenance.I put in a new airfilter and have changed out the oil with a good grade of 30w.I will keep an eye oil usage and see how it does in the future.
The thing that puzzles me is the total lack of oil smoke.Thanks for all the replies.JAinVA

can whlvr

I have a c160 8 speed and it burns oil but you cant see it,but I can smell it,just top her up and keep on using her

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
Burning that much oil is a bit excessive. The M16 in one of my 416-8's uses a little bit of oil when worked hard over the course of a day but not enough to consider rebuilding. It has about 765 hours on the meter. Speaking of vibration, this M16 has a little vibration but no more than what I believe is normal. Based on what I have learned here at RS I think you should consider leaving the balance gears in your M16. The K341 in my other 416-8 runs as smooth as a 12 horse Kohler. It has a few more hours on it's meter than the other 416 and does not burn a drop of oil in the 25 hours between oil changes. Sometimes I think it's a roll of the dice regarding what you get vibration wise when you buy a. 16hp flathead Kohler. 

MalMac

Take it from me a bit of advice. If you are rebuilding a Magnum, put the balance gears back in. To make a short story out of this, I have been down the route of taking them out and using different piston rod combinations to overcome the vibrations. That piston and rod that is in there must work together with the balance gears or you will have a vibration that will do great harm to your motor. It even states on Miller's web site Magnums need there balance gears for 3600 rpm and under, if over take them out and other work must be done. Left them out of K series and no problems but the Mag's have a different balancing act going on. If you got any questions on balance gears and what I went through just shoot me a PM.

• Like 2

WH nut

I don't think a quart to 8- 12 hours is worth tearing into as cheap as oil is

• Like 1

JAinVA

MalMac,
       Thanks for the reply.I read your posts on the Magnum 16 when you first put the engine back together.The vibration issue you describe and comments I read on Miller's
convinced me that the M16 needs balance gears.From what information I have gleaned the Magnum crank has lighter counter weights than the K series.If I rebuild the Magnum I may try to swap in a K crank as the balance gear timing seems to be a royal pain.I sure won't leave the balances gers out of the engine if I end up using a
Magnum crank.