can whlvr

K 341 HEAD LEAKING OIL

can whlvr

so I bought a c160 8 speed a bit ago,2 go with my 160 auto,anyway the head is leaking oil between the head and block,i decked the head by hand on glass,seemed flat,put a new gasket but she still spits some oil out,i know its gonna need some attention at some time,shoulnt have any quantity of oil at top of piston,but for now can I use a sealant like copper seal or something similar to get by for a while,i have several tractors that are in good shape so this one wont be used full time,but I do want to use it,in future it will get a rebuild,maybe needs a block or head decking from the machine also,any one done anything like this to seal up the head leak

Brian01

Copper spray should seal it up, unless it is warped real bad around the edges or block/head is cracked around the sides somewhere.

prondzy

After you torque a head down to kohler specs. Run the engine get it hot shut it down and let it cool down re-torque at the spec again and you should be good to go. If your already seeping oil you might need to try this with a new head gasket. If it continues to seep after this you might be dealing with too much oil blow by, or a Crack in the block around the rim of the cylinder (I have seen this happen). Hope this helps

• Like 1

can whlvr

it is a brand new head gasket,its only been on for 5 minutes of running,ive had the head off and hand decked it,it has no cracks and seemed flat,in thinking the top of the block,but I just want to run her for a while,till I can afford to have her rebuilt,but that might be a few years

tunahead72

Hi Don,

Did you measure the gap between the head and glass after you flattened the head?  That gap should be less than .003", anything more would indicate that your head still isn't flat.

I think it's also possible your breather isn't operating properly, maybe it's clogged and is allowing pressure to build up instead the crankcase and force the oil out any available weak spot.  Have you checked and cleaned yours lately?

can whlvr

ya took it apart,wasnt dirty at all,im gonna check the head with feelers,i thought it was flat because of the clean aluminum from sanding it on my glass

tunahead72

Yeah, that shiny aluminum is usually a good sign.  Like you suggested, it's possible the block surface isn't flat, do you have a nice straightedge you could lay across it to check?

And if you take the head off again, remember you really should replace the gasket again.