Achto

400 Suburban drive pulley

Achto

Can anyone tell me the correct outside diameter of the engine and transmission pulleys on a 400 Suburban?
Thanks, Achto

stevasaurus

achto...send a PM to Jake Kuhn...he should be able to give you the correct information.  :)

Racinbob

It a double 2.5"  :)

• Like 1

WHX??

Did you have to run out to garage for that one Bob?:lol:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

So, is the trans pulley a 4" ???  :)  Another trip out to the garage??  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Yes Jim, I did and yes Steve, 4". Waaaait a minute......................you knew that. You're messing with me! :violence-blades:

:orcs-cheers:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Let's just say that I suspected it...I did not have a 400 suburban to measure from and my "Hooby Dooby" is flat from getting stepped on lately.  I just did not want to leave this guy hanging...waiting for information.  :)  Thanks Bob.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Well, my hooby dooby just got stepped on. I missed that Achto asked for the transmission pulley too. I seldomly rely on my memory anymore which results in many trips to the garage or barn. Then, as I head back to the computer, I have to keep repeating my findings to myself so I don't forget it before I get there. :o

So Steve, your hooby dooby gets pumped back up some. :)

• Like 2

Achto

Thank for the info Bob! and the fun reading. Found my Suburban as a neglected rusty brick. Nothing moved except for the tranny, which is surprising seems it was full of water. Obviously missing some parts, but I enjoy the hunt as well as the build. Thanks again!

• Like 3

WHX??

Good thing your measurin stick isn't is off as mine Bob........never could figure out what all them little lines between the numbers were for...
I woulda had the numbers all mixed up and achto would  have had a racing 400:blink:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Right after I got married in the mid 70's I bought a 551. I actually remember it well because it kinda ticked off my new bride. Just for giggles I swapped the two pulleys. Holy cow! It was a bear to get going in 3rd but when I did I quickly learned that the steering wasn't intended for that much speed. :auto-swerve:

Thank for the info Bob! and the fun reading. Found my Suburban as a neglected rusty brick. Nothing moved except for the tranny, which is surprising seems it was full of water. Obviously missing some parts, but I enjoy the hunt as well as the build. Thanks again!

I understand what you're saying on the hunt. You found the best place in the world for information and help. Best you know the rules though.............:wwp:

• Like 2

Racinbob

You're probably missing the shifter boot and it was sitting outside accounting for the water. Flush it a couple times and it may be fine. It's a pretty tough little booger. It probably needs seals but they are readily available. Is you do need to open it Steve has some great videos posted here. 

Edited by Racinbob

Achto

Boot is not gone but not far from it. I drained the water out  and filled it to the top with ATF, I know that's not what belongs in there but it's what I had on hand. Will let that soak until I get a chance to dive into it further. I don't intend on doing a full restore on this one. Looking for a rusty / rat look, wrong parts will be installed but nothing that can't go back. Had to include a pic of my best triumph on this one, (getting the steering shaft out!)

IMG_20150920_180313714_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150920_180104465.jpg

IMG_20151021_172848354_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151024_154525246.jpg

Edited by achto
  • Like 3

Racinbob

Keep in mind that the transmission takes 1 1/2 quarts and shouldn't be filled to the top. A lot of folks use diesel fuel to flush it out. :)

• Like 1

Achto

Can anyone tell me the correct outside diameter of the engine and transmission pulleys on a 400 Suburban?
Thanks, Achto

Thanks for the update on the correct oil capacity, that was actually a question I was goin to ask. The fill to the top was just too ensure everything in there got a coat of oil for now. I will be tearing the tranny apart soon, this thing can be rusty but I need to know mechanically it is good with no leaks. It is hard enough for me not to clean every thing up and paint it. 

• Like 1