slammer302

Wheel Horse storage

elcamino/wheelhorse

as long as it works it will keep the herd happy. You may want to run some supports along the inside of the roof. I had one similar to yours and had a problem with snow. Only about 2 inches of snow .

i have a 12' X 20'  Shelter Logic that has been up since 2003..however  i am  on the 3rd cover. yes, when it snows i'm out there right away getting it off.  i use one of those foam covered snow rakes. doing that the snow hasn't been a big problem. the problem has been the sunlight just rotting the cover...UV's or something. the latest cover i put on last spring (2014)  and was extra heavy duty and supposedly is guaranteed for 5 years

KC9KAS

Very nice!
I have a 12' X 20' "garage in a box" too! This will be the 3rd winter for mine, and I haven't had a problem, but we don't get the massive snows like folks in the NE.
2012-11-04133831.jpg

I heard to replace the covering with one of those vinyl billboard advertisement deals....They hold up pretty good, and are often cheap.
Hey, soon after the elections, I bet you could pick up a bunch of these....have to turn 'em inside out, but what the heck!

Edited by KC9KAS
spelling
  • Like 4

Wheel-N-It
Plenty good Slammer! Thats enough to keep the worst of Winter off the Horses :)
I had to revisit this as an edit;
As a Building Inspector I do recommend some extra bracing of the roof against the snow load you have there. I don't want to see you start a sad thread come January about your roof tarp tearing and collapsing due to a heavy snow that fell one it overnight.
Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 1

muz123

Pretty nice!

slammer302

I'm planning on doing sum bracing and I'll have a load of gravel here tomorrow so I'll be busy with it this weekend

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rmaynard

I put one of these garage-in-a-box up last year. Because I did not have anything covering the dirt, the inside of the tent became a sauna. The humidity got so high that it literally rained inside. I did not realize it until I went out to get something last winter and everything inside was covered with ice. All the cardboard boxes and any papers were ruined, and unprotected steel was rusting. I corrected it this summer by removing everything and putting down heavy plastic to cover the dirt. Then I put a bathroom exhaust fan in the ridge and vented the air out via a 4" duct, similar to how you vent an attic. So far, no moisture this year. The fan uses a couple dollars per month of electricity to run 24 hours per day, but it's worth it.

So bottom line is, if you don't want your horse and their accessories to be ruined by moisture, put something down on the ground to seal the moisture.

Here is a picture of how I installed the exhaust fan ($13.00 from Lowe's)
fan.thumb.jpg.8dd66452e789610e726617d679

And here is the heavy-duty black plastic on the ground. It is a one piece installation so I didn't have to tape any seams. It is thick and will take a minimal amount of abuse.
floor.thumb.jpg.9dbb6c5a1ec38e660f5c1cb6

Edited by rmaynard
Add photos
  • Like 8

slammer302

Do you think I need plastic under the gravel?

Wishin4a416

Nice. That should do the trick. Keep them Horses under roof. Dont forget the mothball cakes to keep the mice at bay. I picked up an 18 foot truck box a few years ago and put it in the back yard. Works well too.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would put the plastic under the gravel

• Like 3

on mine i have plastic down , then 3" of crushed rock on the floor.... haven't had any moisture problems

Edited by 305
  • Like 2

rmaynard

Yes

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I am on my second year with one. I go out every time I clear the driveway and use a push broom, or a foam snow rake to remove the snow. I just go inside and poke the flat part of the rake or broom against the roof, and the snow slides right off

I did learn that you need to shovel it away from the sides after, though. If enough piles up, it starts to push in on the sides, and tightens up the vinyl, possibly way too tight

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

slammer302

Dad dropped off my load of gravel 2212e6815185aac37f458982b1e3cd47.jpg

• Like 1

Brian01

That should do the trick!

Now is when you need a "D" with a FEL.

wallfish

Replaced mine with a wood shed but when I had a 12 x 20 garage in a box, I put down a tarp and used pallets covered with OSB for a floor. The pallets were free, the 4 x 8 OSB was $7.50 each and a tarp $20. The 4x8 boards are about $10-12 now but this still makes an inexpensive floor.

Brian01

on mine i have plastic down , then 3" of crushed rock on the floor.... haven't had any moisture problems

as long as you lay good heavy plastic, then gravel, and open the door on it every once in a while to air out....should be just fine.

Its just like camping and with a tent, usually you put it up in the yard every once in a while to air out (get moisture out).

Edited by Brian01

Sparky

I put my 12x20 Shelter King on a 12x20 pressure treated deck with a plywood floor. I get about 4 years to a top before the UV rays ruin it. The zippered front door finally gave up as well so a wood wall with a door replaced it.
Mike..........

Shed_016.thumb.JPG.39a2c7b4c5d127ec76ec8
Shed_017.thumb.JPG.a4226a3ea105bbe3cf217
Shed_019.thumb.JPG.c8a32d0a981052b0db838

• Like 6

kiotiken

I like the creative ways you guys put up your garage in a boxes.It gives me some ideas for mine.Hadn't thought of putting plastic down. And Sparky's wooden front panel looks good.
 Here's a couple of mine that I put up. the first one is from HF and I got it off Craigslist for 75 bucks. I use it to keep the main shop open.I have my 72" finish mower and the Jacobsen sweeper.I use to just tarp them put the HF garage works good for keeping them out of the weather.
 My second one is Menard's garage in the box. It;s 14 x28 x12. I wanted it so I could put my pontoon in.The toon has an upper deck and was really hard to tarp up after using it on the lake. When I got it home and started putting up I quickly found out it wasn't high enough for toon to get in. Momma was not happy making the purchase and seeing it wouldn't fit. But I wasn't deterred after thinking about I built a wall and set the shed on top. Check it out.

2015-10-24 14.52.19.jpg

2015-10-24 14.54.17.jpg

2015-10-24 14.54.32.jpg

2015-10-24 14.55.02.jpg

• Like 4

AMC RULES
Wonder if an application of that aluminized motor home roof paint might help to extend the life of them tops.  :dunno:

Brian01
Wonder if an application of that aluminized motor home roof paint might help to extend the life of them tops.  

Hm..well I think that it would weight the material down too much, then ad snow, etc, on top of that..dunno. :eusa-think:

cleat

I put up an industrial strength tarp top building last year. it is 20' x 30' with 8' high doors.

It has 3 or 4 dump truck loads of crushed stone under it.

For the first few months it got quite damp inside but that stopped once the ground under it dried out. It seems fine now.

New_garage_on_wood_with_cables_buried_11
New_garage_on_wood_with_cables_buried_9.
New_garage_up_4.thumb.jpg.b90e02c7fe7f6d

Tractors_etc_in_garage_first_time_6.thum
Tractors_etc_in_garage_first_time_3.thum

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 4

Brian01

Dang that's huge...whatd that one cost Cleat?