310-8paultjustice

310-8 trying to wire amp gauge

310-8paultjustice

I'm trying to upgrade my horse to have a amp gauge. Does any body know how or where to wire the neg pos off of. 
doubt anyone can answer.........

Edited by 310-8paultjustice

gwest_ca

What is the model number of your tractor? Would like to look at the correct wiring diagram.

It would be much easier to add a voltmeter and they tell you a lot more.

Garry

• Like 2

pfrederi

Many 310-8 had unregulated 3 amp charging systems.  The headlights ran on AC directly from the stator.  Do your head lights work if the engine is not running?  if they do not than you probably have the 3 amp system...not much point in adding an ammeter. As Garry said voltmeter might be more useful.

• Like 1

actually , i do know how to wire an ammeter

the output of the charging system goes to the + side of the gauge , the - side of the gauge goes to the + side of the battery. then all power for the system is connected to the + side of the gauge. there are no other wires connected to the gauge. this way it shows current going in or out of the battery and not what the alternator is putting out

as others have said...probably won't do you much good , i prefer a volt gauge

Racinbob

Are you adding one, replacing one or? Voltmeters and ammeters tell you two different things and both have their place with a voltmeter getting the nod here. But as pfrederi said, your 310 probably has the 3 amp unregulated system and an ammeter will be practically worthless. Not so with a voltmeter. Whatever you decide, ammeters are wired in series and voltmeters in parallel.  :)