82Caddy

Summer garden project for my wife

AMC RULES
Looks like you've...    :handgestures-thumbupright:
just started a new business. 
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Beautiful,  I'm sure Mrs. Caddy  will spend a lot of quality time there.

Terry M

That Looks Very Nice!!   I 've also thought about a fence(like you have) around my garden to keep the free-loading critters out...

JC 1965

Very nice indeed.    :thumbs2:

DennisThornton

I like it!  Got any deer in the woods behind it?

82Caddy

I like it!  Got any deer in the woods behind it?

Yep, there are lots of deer but they seem to stay on the back side of the house away from the road.  The property backs up to a State Game Reserve so it's a pretty safe place for the deer/turkeys/other wild game to hang out.

Thanks everyone, I think it's going to work out great for what we need/want it to.

Pullstart

Nice work!  I put up a 4' fence around our 60x40 garden this year and ran pole beans down one side of the fencing.  The deer stayed away until it was my day for pickin' and there wasn't any pickin' to do.  I'll be sure to add the flying whirly gigs and a scarecrow 'fore too long so I can have some beans for dinner too.

82Caddy

I'm not sure what the plan is to try and keep the deer out.  There might be one I just don't know about it yet.

On the lines of the garden, I have been building a few owl houses to put up in the hopes that we can get a few of the owls to eat the rodents (mice/moles etc) that have been free range living around the house.  I'm tired of a couple moles wrecking the yard with their tunnels.

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:         If you build a dog house next to the garden your dog will provide all the protection your garden needs. Haveahart makes a motion detector sprinkler that will do the job if the puppy is an insider at night, check it out.

http://www.havahart.com/spray-away-motion-activated-sprinkler

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, 82Caddy said:

do these look like outside dogs?

OK, sprinkler it is.  :ychain:

• Like 1

82Caddy

Yeah, they aren't outside unattended.  Not that they wonder or anything but we do live fairly close to a road and I'd rather not deal with potential issues from that.

They both do go waterfowl hunting so it's not like they're just couch potatoes...all the time...

23528819455_d02ff244c7_b.jpg

• Like 1

82Caddy
On 12/5/2015 at 7:16 PM, 953 nut said:

OK, sprinkler it is.  :ychain:

The neighbor own/installs sprinklers for a living and built/owned our home before we purchased it.  He showed/taught me how to connect things to the sprinkler control system and added another control valve so the garden area is on it's own time schedule for watering.  Each plant will have it's own emitter so it should cut down on the weeds as well as the amount of wasted water.  At least that's the thought process behind it.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, 82Caddy said:

The neighbor own/installs sprinklers for a living and built/owned our home before we purchased it.  He showed/taught me how to connect things to the sprinkler control system and added another control valve so the garden area is on it's own time schedule for watering.  Each plant will have it's own emitter so it should cut down on the weeds as well as the amount of wasted water.  At least that's the thought process behind it.

Are you setting it up as a drip watering system? 

I finally found out (90% sure anyway) that the critter tunneling into my garden and eating my tomatoes was a shrew, possibly a vole. I have to dihg up my dirt and put hardware cloth under all the garden beds so they can't tunnel under.

• Like 1

82Caddy
4 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Are you setting it up as a drip watering system?

Yes, it's designed as a modified drip system.  1/4in lines with mini sprayers/emitters at the end of each line where the plant is

4 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I finally found out (90% sure anyway) that the critter tunneling into my garden and eating my tomatoes was a shrew, possibly a vole. I have to dihg up my dirt and put hardware cloth under all the garden beds so they can't tunnel under.

The bottoms of the garden beds are covered in two layers of chicken wire for this exact reason.  They're attached to the bottoms of the boards and have an additional board across the short part (hold chicken wire and strengthen the sides so they didn't bow when filled with dirt)  and then another down the center of each bed on the bottom as well.  Is it over done, probably but that's how things tend to happen at my house.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

put hardware cloth under all the garden beds so they can't tunnel under.

We had to do the same thing with our roses, voles would eat the roots off during the winter, come spring we had nothing but a dead stump,

• Like 2

82Caddy

Added a trellis over the weekend for the peas to grow on.

26523237265_057e8a08d6_k.jpg

Potatoes and peas are all planted outside.

Tomato, peppers, spinach, and lettuce were started in the house a few months ago.

So far we haven't had to run the sprinkler system, but we did test it out for fun.  Should work out great :) 

• Like 1

WHX??

Started up my sprinler system for a test run for the season this past weekend it was so nice out. Be careful might get some frost yet tho. I can't count the times I got anxious and put the peppers in too early and they froze out.  My pump & controls are in the small garden shed you see. Real PTA if that pump freezes & breaks ...ask me how I know! :blink:

20151115_094324.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

trellis over the weekend for the peas to grow on

You may want a bit higher trellis, I run a pipe six feet above the peas with twine for them to climb and by the end of summer they have gone over the top.

82Caddy

2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You may want a bit higher trellis, I run a pipe six feet above the peas with twine for them to climb and by the end of summer they have gone over the top.

That's what she asked for so that's what was built.  I tried to suggest we make it twice as tall (I had all the materials on hand) but she wanted none of that.  Guess we'll find out in a few months who was more correct on this instance.

953 nut
3 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

we'll find out in a few months who was more correct on this instance.

Just remember, it will be your fault! Not sure how that happens, just know I NEVER say "I told you so".  

Comon Sence.jpg

82Caddy

Well, we have out first visitor attempting to get into the garden.  So far so good and hasn't got in.  

27505695715_018946e76e_k.jpg

I'd have no problem with him staying around if the house wasn't mostly cedar siding and plenty of other things for him to get into and destroy.  Going to try and live trap him for relocation before more aggressive options.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
On December 4, 2015 at 10:17 PM, 82Caddy said:

23528819455_d02ff244c7_b.jpg

I love the look on his face, LOL.

As for the groundhog, a .22 pellet rifle should do the trick. He will eventually tunnel in

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

82Caddy

Ellie was mad I took the bird from her and made her sit by it.  That's what the look is for.

I'm going to give it the ole "college try" and if I can catch the groundhog with the live trap great, if not, he'll get the .22 rifle or the .40 glock.  It all depends what I have handy at the moment.

• Like 2