Horse46

PTO cutting engine

Horse46

As per the title. I have just gone through all the earth points and they are all nice n shiny, When I did the refresh on my C-101 I didn't take the tower down so I just had to plug everything back in as it was before.
The seat switch was never plugged in although the wires are stil there, and the PTO worked before.
Its a while since I've used it so firstly am I doing it correctly? I can just throw the lever, engine running clutch down out of gear?

gwest_ca

With the pto OFF the ignition is powered by the wiring to 1/2 of the pto switch.
With the pto ON the pto switch breaks that circuit and allows the seat switch to power the ignition if the operator is in the seat = seat switch closed..

The other 1/2 of the pto switch powers the starter circuit.

4 pages of wiring diagrams
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/62-tractor-1978-c-series-kohler-powered-wiring-detailedpdf/

Does that answer your question?

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

Horse46

So if I join the seat circuit up to make a loop that would by pass the switch right?

• Like 1

gwest_ca

So if I join the seat circuit up to make a loop that would by pass the switch right?

In this application that would allow you to test it.

All models are not wired this way.

Garry

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Sure sounds like a safety switch issue.

Horse46

OK I'll try the seat switch Isolation first, and go from there.

Do the switches that the PTO lever operate fail at all, they look a bit awkward to remove. 

meadowfield

yes they do, they rust away and fall into pieces. I just link the four terminals myself...

Horse46

yes they do, they rust away and fall into pieces. I just link the four terminals myself...

Do you mean do away with the switch all together?

Horse46

I put a loop in the seat switch wires and hey presto it works. 
I can't think how this must have worked before though as that switch was never plugged in?

Save Old Iron

there had to be some electrical connection between the two seat wires - no ifs or buts about it.

maybe an old jumper of bare wire that time and weather disintegrated - and it did not necessarily need to be a jumper located AT THE SEAT SWITCH CONNECTOR.

Edited by Save Old Iron
added an"h"
  • Like 2