Racinbob

5053 Transmissions

Racinbob

I was recently fortunate to be the recipient of two tractors, a 500 Special and a 657. Both have 5053 transmissions. Both tractors are disassembled now and this morning I decided to open one of the transmissions. When I first pulled the case I grinned thinking it looked pretty good in there. All the bearings are in great shape and it was pretty clean. Well, I soon discovered not so good. The reverse idler is toast. The low/reverse gear is marginal in my opinion but would probably be OK. The infamous 3rd/2nd is junk but I'm thinking the input gear will be OK. Hopefully the other 5053 will have the donor parts in decent shape and for the marginal parts I'll just use the best of the two. Then I saw the bad news. There's a crack where one of the shifter rails goes. I can't imagine how it could crack there. I wouldn't think it's a high stress spot. Any ideas? Hopefully the case on the other 5053 will be OK.

Trans 4.JPG

Trans 1.JPG

Trans 2.JPG

Trans 3.JPG

Trans 5.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I kind of think that it is a defective casting.  The shift fork would surly show some stress or look bent if the gears locked up or something like that...maybe it froze one time.  Any recent ice ages down there in Florida??  Is the shift rail sloppy in that hole??  You could probably weld the crack, but I would think I would try to close the gap first.  That transmission is basically the same as a #5025...I just happen to have a spare one.  :)  You knew that.

The one you just opened looks like it was abused though.  I would open the other one and see what that looks like.  The one I got from you is open in the garage.  :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

The gentleman that gave these to me said most all of the Wheel Horse stuff he had started out in Michigan so freezing could be a possibility. The rails and forks are in great shape and there wasn't any slop. Providing the case on the other one is OK I'll just use it. Hopefully the gears I need will be in good shape. I do have a spare 3523 in very good shape (per Mike) that came out of the 5010 on my 400 that I can use if needed. :D

Remember that little research project I did on the 3-speed parts? The only internal difference between a 5025 and a 5053 is the updated shifter rails on the 5053 (3515/3516 vs 5615/5616).

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I figured it was something like the shift rails.  :)  Are you going to make both horses whole??  Cool, freezing and trying to move it was the only thing that kind of made since to split the casting like that.  :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

No, there's not enough for two complete tractors. Hopefully I'll have enough tranny parts to make one good one and there are enough tractor parts for a good one. The majority of the parts on the 657 and 500 Special are identical.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

Racinbob

I opened up the second transmission this morning. I didn't flush this one first and I wish I would have. I think I'm in pretty good shape. The 1st/reverse gear is much better as is the reverse idler. The case doesn't have any cracks and the bearings are all good. The 3523 is shot in this one too so I'll be using a good one that I have.

Steve, as we discussed, the crack in the first case easily closes up and the shifter rail still moves freely. I'll use the uncracked case for my 500 Special but a quick hit with a welder and that crack would be fine.

Trans 6.JPG

Trans 7.JPG

Trans 8.JPG

Trans 9.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

OOOhhhhh, for a gunk tank.  :)  That's great that the crack in the other case will close up..

Coadster32

those 2nd internals look really good. You should be in good shape.

Racinbob

Yea, they do other than the 3523 gear. I went 0-2 on those. With the likelihood of moving back to northern Indiana I figured the 500 Special would be my snow pusher so I really want a good hi gear hook up. I've got these two in the parts bin and I'm thinking (hoping) that the one on the left will do the job.

Your right Steve....a gunk tank....or kick the dummy who didn't flush it first. :angry-banghead:

Old 3523 2.JPG

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Hope ya get it fixed Bob! Got a couple I need to do myself.

Racinbob

I'll get her Duke. I'm betting you're testing the post hide thing. I saw another one then.....dink......it went away. :)

Racinbob

They are never fully hidden. They remain in my personal email until I delete them. The same thing when a post is edited. I usually just delete them. After all that went on I just went to my trash bin. Sure enough, there was your post for last weeks picks.:D

I don't know if it helps but the button in that email that takes me to the forum post didn't work. Apparently because it was hidden on the forum.