DennisThornton

Wheel Weights - Yet another way!

DennisThornton
00i0i_gu82FMUGaJW_600x450.jpg

I thought this was novel!  Certainly new to me.  They are on a decent 953 but know nothing more about it.
  • Like 1

doc724

It is novel (and inexpensive), but they must make one hell of a racket when you are moving!

• Like 1

JC 1965
:text-yeahthat:

RedRanger

How'd they keep them from sliding out toward the wheels?

AMC RULES
Seems, if they're just slid on, and allowed to turn... :scratchead:
they would be putting a lot of wear on the axles there? 
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

I don't have it figured out yet but I thought surely some of you would have by now!  

So the hubs would need to be removed, and I've gathered that can be an ordeal, then the weights bored out larger.  Fastening them to each other is easy enough, but surely they are then attached to the axle or hub.  I see no bolts, nuts or other fasteners.

No, I still don't quite understand...  

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Not sure if you know the person that did this, but being a First Class REDNECK I question how smart of an idea this was. I can see all kinds of problems. On one  of my previous tractors, I drilled holes in the weights to match the hole pattern on the inside of the rim. Mounted the weights inside the rims like you would mount regular wheel weights and it worked without any problems.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

That's a novel ideal, but it puts a lot of weight on the axles and axle bearings. Might wear out those needle bearings fast.  Regular weights put the weight on the tires.

Considering the noise that 'free-weights' make when you drop them, I bet everyone will hear you coming with the weights on the axles.

DennisThornton

I don't know what the weights are resting on.  I'm hoping not directly and free floating on the axle.  Even if they are in this example they wouldn't have to be.  They could be attached to the hub somehow, just not sure yet how I would do it...

Pullstart

what about a thrust washer against the transmission, with a large spring pushing them back against the hub?  It would reduce noises, though on my machine I wouldn't hear them clanking anyways.  I really need to get that steering shaft tightened up!

squonk

Those look like those plastic weights. no drilling allowed! :angry-nono:

DennisThornton

I blew up the photo a bit and they look like metal weights to me but I also don't see any bolts or nuts.  I don't know what the weights are resting on.  I'm hoping not directly and free floating on the axle but unless one of you folks figure it out it may remain a mystery...

KC9KAS
Seems, if they're just slid on, and allowed to turn... :scratchead:
they would be putting a lot of wear on the axles there? 

My thought exactly!

May be a piece of PVC between the weights and the axle for a bushing.

Edited by KC9KAS
added remark

RedRanger

The more I look at it, they seem to be just floating on the axles.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Call me crazy here, but it seems as if the axles wouldn't be long enough sticking outside of the case for the hubs in this setup. Perhaps extended length axles??

DennisThornton

Call me crazy here, but it seems as if the axles wouldn't be long enough sticking outside of the case for the hubs in this setup. Perhaps extended length axles??

I had the same thought.